Research at DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sshashid87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is more a question for all schools, not just DO, but I'm assuming my stats are more likely to get DO acceptance, which is fine, but.....

It seems like all competitive residencies require some sort of research in that field (ortho, rads, neuro, derm, opth, ent) but I'm confused as to when students do this? Are there research opportunities over the summers, or do people have this research before getting into med school? I have some research (1 2nd author pub, 1 poster presentation, hope to get a second paper prolly 2/3 author by next august) but it seems like people getting into competitive residencies (AOA or ACGME) have 2-3 projects and 4-5 publications, and I just don't know where to get these opportunities or how one manages to have the time with the rigorous courseload in med school? Now, I have absolutely no idea what type of residency I want to do (I've liked everything I've shadowed, from FP to interventional cardiology) but it'd be nice to have options when applying...sorry for making this wordy, any answers are appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a student, how hard is it to manage coursework and research (providing you do it throughout the year, not just summers)...I suppose lit reviews won't take as much time and can be done at your own pace, but clinical research seems like it would take extra time also...appreciate your help realthinker, any other advice appreciated as well