Research away vs. clinical away elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dem4t

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
which do you think would be a more valuable experience? I have the opportunity to do a month of research away (at an institution whose program would not be one of my top choices) vs doing an clinical away elective for a month at an nyc program (also a program that would not be one of my top choices). I already have some research and publications, but none in oto. I've already done one away and have a different one scheduled for later this summer. There are numerous +/- to doing either research or a clinical away rotation. Which do wou think might strengthen my application or provide a more meaningful experience with regard to the match for this upcoming year? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I always advise more research to improve your application. The only caveat is that if you really want to go to a program, you can do an away rotation there, but this obviously doesn't apply in this case.