Research but no publication a red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would have done 7 semesters of research by the time I apply, but I have no publications. How bad is this?

Members don't see this ad.

I would have done 7 semesters of research by the time I apply, but I have no publications. How bad is this?

Umm.... really, really bad?

Or, great!

Choose your answer. Hint: It's the logical one :)

I really can't speak for how an admissions committee would view your application...

But in undergraduate research having your name tagged on a publication is usually due to the generosity of the PI rather than the researcher's talent or intellect, unless you were heavily involved in preparing the manuscript and formulating the hypothesis.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it is bad. Not everyone has the opportunity to have their names in a published paper. Whatever research you have done, just be able to explain it well if asked.

Some PI's like to give credit where credit is due. Other PI's will only give you that "public" credit if you are in a grad program.

Some PI's won't list you regardless of how much you work on the manuscript. Other PI's will give presents and list the mere lab monkey as a co-author.

... No one really has any way of knowing what all the circumstances are which encompassed your 7-semester run.

Similiar situation here. I will have done about 1.5yrs in a research lab at the time of application and no publications. I only started doing research because I wanted to make sure that I was interested in the application of medicine, rather than just the science behind it. I work in the lab 3 mornings a week, and to be honest, I have no idea what the big picture is. I just run gels, make buffers, count cells, etc

You do realize that most people who apply to MD/PhD programs have no publications, right? And I mean top programs (Harvard, Yale, Hopkins). My friend got into Penn's MSTP last year. No pubs.

So if you don't have to have pubs for MD/PhD...do you think MD only is more or less stringent? ;)

Seriously. Relax.

I really can't speak for how an admissions committee would view your application...

But in undergraduate research having your name tagged on a publication is usually due to the generosity of the PI rather than the researcher's talent or intellect, unless you were heavily involved in preparing the manuscript and formulating the hypothesis.

That.

I have done research since the 4th week of my freshman year. I have no publications (though I have a manuscript so very very close to being ready to submit). I do have 2 national poster presentations. I have 3 acceptances.

So no, its not a red flag.