Research Career as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InimicusTempi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'm new here; I'm a sophomore pre-med student studying neurobiology and psychology. I plan to apply to both MD and DO schools, and I have a question concerning the DO degree.

Is it hard to get involved in research as a DO? I hope to become a psychiatrist, and I'd like to split my time between patient care and research. Would this kind of career be feasible with a DO degree? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, everyone. I'm new here; I'm a sophomore pre-med student studying neurobiology and psychology. I plan to apply to both MD and DO schools, and I have a question concerning the DO degree.

Is it hard to get involved in research as a DO? I hope to become a psychiatrist, and I'd like to split my time between patient care and research. Would this kind of career be feasible with a DO degree? Thanks

Generally, once you get through medical school and residency, you will have the same opportunities with both degrees. That being said, large academic institutions may prefer the MD degree for their research positions. There are, of course, outlers at these institutions, but the general consensus is that these positions are more easily obtained as an MD.

In other words, you will have no problem doing research in general as a DO, but you may have some difficulty getting a faculty spot at a prestigious university.

Eh I don't really agree...I think that there are a few factors influencing why we see fewer DOs at major research institutions that are not simply due to the fact that they prefer "MDs."

1) There are far fewer DOs interested in major research faculty positions. DOs are much more primary care focused than MDs in general...so this alone results in seeing few DOs in research.
2) There are far far far far far fewer DO, PhDs than there are MD, PhDs out there. This is the result of a lot of things, but in part because there are far fewer DO, PhD programs and because of the previous mentioned point about interest. And I am not saying that a PhD is necessary to gain a faculty research position, but physicians who go into research tend to have additional graduate degrees (at least a masters of some sort).
3) I think it depends also a lot on the research opportunities you have as a resident/fellow. From what I have seen, ACGME residencies more often than not even require research, whereas AOA residencies do not.

In conclusion, the research community I feel is NOT inherently against DOs, and if you were interested in research you would just need to have the additional education and then faculty positions should be equally available to you as any MD.

Generally, once you get through medical school and residency, you will have the same opportunities with both degrees. That being said, large academic institutions may prefer the MD degree for their research positions. There are, of course, outlers at these institutions, but the general consensus is that these positions are more easily obtained as an MD.

In other words, you will have no problem doing research in general as a DO, but you may have some difficulty getting a faculty spot at a prestigious university.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh I don't really agree...I think that there are a few factors influencing why we see fewer DOs at major research institutions that are not simply due to the fact that they prefer "MDs."

1) There are far fewer DOs interested in major research faculty positions. DOs are much more primary care focused than MDs in general...so this alone results in seeing few DOs in research.
2) There are far far far far far fewer DO, PhDs than there are MD, PhDs out there. This is the result of a lot of things, but in part because there are far fewer DO, PhD programs and because of the previous mentioned point about interest. And I am not saying that a PhD is necessary to gain a faculty research position, but physicians who go into research tend to have additional graduate degrees (at least a masters of some sort).
3) I think it depends also a lot on the research opportunities you have as a resident/fellow. From what I have seen, ACGME residencies more often than not even require research, whereas AOA residencies do not.

In conclusion, the research community I feel is NOT inherently against DOs, and if you were interested in research you would just need to have the additional education and then faculty positions should be equally available to you as any MD.

Hence, I used words like "consensus" and "may prefer." I'm not sure what the reasons are, but it is frequently said that large academic institutions prefer MD applicants for their research spots.

In all truth, I hope you're right...but we won't know until some evidence is shown that supports your point.

I think its more like few DOs are interested in reseach.

I would agree with the notion that DOs aren't typically as research focused, and more focused on patients. That being said, I could definitely see where DOs would find a niche in research as well.

Well that sounds like a good thing. Something you should keep in mind, I think physciatry could be one of the highest match rates, this means you could probably go to the caribbean and match physciatry if you want MD. I haven't heard of an unmatched prospective physc, but I'm sure it exists. If you don't care about initials though, DO >> caribbean MD, but your field of interest is one of the MOST realistic of match opportunities from the caribbean, i.e. its not the same as saying I want to match into surgery from the caribbean. On to more your question now, research IS a possibility with DO. I know a chief of neurosurgery, and professor, and this faculty is on most of his latest works with a DO, who I am pretty sure is also a neurosurgeon. DO is your best bet, whos to say you can't do research as a DO? Would there be some bias? Sure there could be some bias, but it will be minimal. I can say if I was going to do physc, I would probably try to go to St. George's (only this one) over DO, but don't take my advice as concrete. As a therapist it might be a bit easier for the patient to see the MD initials, as you are more of a consultant doctor, with some more conversation level with the patient. My meaning, if you are a DO surgeon, its my belief that it is a bit different, as a general surgeon is taking care of things in the body, and the patient is more trying to be eliviated of physcial pain, and may be less inclined to ask about degrees. I feel like if you are conversing with a patient every week, chances are its going to come up, so what's a DO? You are seeing this patient about 10 or maybe 100 times, it would probably come up. Nothing wrong with this, I'm just saying. Again, DO will make your life a lot easier, but you should try to get advice from seasoned people in the field, to find out if being an MD caribbean doc would be difficult in this field, and if you have a good chance of getting the degree. This would take the research question out of play for you, as DO is a more patient centered field, and less concentrated on research in general, this is a fact. But, if you keep working at it, you might get into US MD, and you won't have to have a concern about this.

Well that sounds like a good thing. Something you should keep in mind, I think physciatry could be one of the highest match rates, this means you could probably go to the caribbean and match physciatry if you want MD. I haven't heard of an unmatched prospective physc, but I'm sure it exists. If you don't care about initials though, DO >> caribbean MD, but your field of interest is one of the MOST realistic of match opportunities from the caribbean, i.e. its not the same as saying I want to match into surgery from the caribbean. On to more your question now, research IS a possibility with DO. I know a chief of neurosurgery, and professor, and this faculty is on most of his latest works with a DO, who I am pretty sure is also a neurosurgeon. DO is your best bet, whos to say you can't do research as a DO? Would there be some bias? Sure there could be some bias, but it will be minimal. I can say if I was going to do physc, I would probably try to go to St. George's (only this one) over DO, but don't take my advice as concrete. As a therapist it might be a bit easier for the patient to see the MD initials, as you are more of a consultant doctor, with some more conversation level with the patient. My meaning, if you are a DO surgeon, its my belief that it is a bit different, as a general surgeon is taking care of things in the body, and the patient is more trying to be eliviated of physcial pain, and may be less inclined to ask about degrees. I feel like if you are conversing with a patient every week, chances are its going to come up, so what's a DO? You are seeing this patient about 10 or maybe 100 times, it would probably come up. Nothing wrong with this, I'm just saying. Again, DO will make your life a lot easier, but you should try to get advice from seasoned people in the field, to find out if being an MD caribbean doc would be difficult in this field, and if you have a good chance of getting the degree. This would take the research question out of play for you, as DO is a more patient centered field, and less concentrated on research in general, this is a fact. But, if you keep working at it, you might get into US MD, and you won't have to have a concern about this.

Bad advice, OP. Do not apply to the caribbean.

I'm working on a master's degree in Houston which doesn't seem to have many DOs...however UT med school has some major research positions held by DOs...so I think it's what you make of it. Take advantage of opportunities at away rotations, maybe even go to a big institution for your summer between year 1 and 2. The simple fact is that we need more docs in research to cover the translational aspect of research, so I'm excited you're so interested!

Bad advice, OP. Do not apply to the caribbean.

+1

If you're concerned about DO and psychiatry, there are actually two recent threads in the Psychiatry forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=898468

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=892658

Extremely feasible to do an excellent psyc residency with a DO.

As for research, academic medicine does tend to have some politics and there is always that slog about MD being much more prestigious and recognizable than a DO degree....

But I say if research is your dream, then you'll find a way to make it work, whether it means getting into a competitive residency, working hard to stand out, and seek mentors and do independent research. :)