research diversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PBandJ

hot dog back in action!
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i'm a newbie here!

i have a few questions for those md/phd experts out there. i'm planning on applying for mstp programs for fall 2007, and i just took the MCAT last saturday, so i won't have those scores for a few weeks.

anyways, my question concerns research diversity. i just graduated (may 2005) with my BS in biomedical engineering and i have a good amount of research experience under my belt, but it's rather eclectic. i did 3 summers as a research assistant at u. pittsburgh in molecular biology / nephrology (2 pubs, 1 first author). then i did my senior thesis in biomedical materials research, using immunochemical and microfabrication techniques to generate a rapid STD testing prototype. now i have taken a job as a bioengineer/medical research assistant for a research nursing home project, studying cardiovascular factors for falls in the elderly.

do you think having such a variety of research will help or hurt my chances for md/phd programs? i'm ultimately planning to pursue biomedical engineering as my phd track. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

scentimint said:
hi, i'm a newbie here!

i have a few questions for those md/phd experts out there. i'm planning on applying for mstp programs for fall 2007, and i just took the MCAT last saturday, so i won't have those scores for a few weeks.

anyways, my question concerns research diversity. i just graduated (may 2005) with my BS in biomedical engineering and i have a good amount of research experience under my belt, but it's rather eclectic. i did 3 summers as a research assistant at u. pittsburgh in molecular biology / nephrology (2 pubs, 1 first author). then i did my senior thesis in biomedical materials research, using immunochemical and microfabrication techniques to generate a rapid STD testing prototype. now i have taken a job as a bioengineer/medical research assistant for a research nursing home project, studying cardiovascular factors for falls in the elderly.

do you think having such a variety of research will help or hurt my chances for md/phd programs? i'm ultimately planning to pursue biomedical engineering as my phd track. thanks!

Are you actually asking, or were you just bragging? Cuz you've made me jealous ;) I think that diverse research experience can only be a strength. It allows you to try out several fields and perhaps hone your interests for the PhD, lets you discuss your interests more cogently at interviews, and (let's not forget it), will give you recs from a lot of mentors.

mercaptovizadeh said:
Are you actually asking, or were you just bragging? Cuz you've made me jealous ;) I think that diverse research experience can only be a strength. It allows you to try out several fields and perhaps hone your interests for the PhD, lets you discuss your interests more cogently at interviews, and (let's not forget it), will give you recs from a lot of mentors.

Nice work scent; by the sounds of it, you wont have to worry about your researvch background.

Similar question, but kinda sorta in reverse. 7 years of research in oncology, psychiatry, imaging/fMR, and cardiovascular physio (no first auth, handful of 2nd, 3rd auths). Majored in exercise physio, but am looking to do a PhD in BME in a MD/PhD program. Getting a masters in biostats currently. Will my lack of an engineering background (save for my BME/imaging related pub) hurt my chances of doing a PhD in BME? Or would it behoove me to do something more closely related to my background (I'm also considering cancer bio and neurosicnce for grad work).

Thoughts? Comments? Feedback? Sorry to hijack your post...

Members don't see this ad :)
nooo no way, mercapto...i really wasn't trying to come off as bragging. honestly concerned that being too broad in research would be a disadvantage. but thanks for the advice.

anywho, scooter...i worked closely with a lot of BME PhD candidates who came from non-BME backgrounds. they ended up doing some extra undergrad-level courses to catch up, but ended up pretty much in the same boat (and for a few that i know, doing much better than the traditional BME grad students at my school). so if you're going for md/phd, that might mean minimun 8-9 years instead of 7-8 years...or so i think. it ultimately depends on the program.

no worries about "hijacking" the post...it's great to hear from others interested in a BME md/phd. :)

I've been really impressed with what I've about many of yall, and it concerns me a little....For the record, if I have no any publications, do I have no chance at MTSP? For that matter, if I didn't do research for a big-time university or lab, do I have no chance?

I'm an undergrad at a teaching university, rather than one a reserach one, and as a result, the opportunities are of a different caliber. I started working at a lab for about 3 months, so I don't know how far I'm going to get there, but I'll be going back for the school year. I think you would say that my official research expereince started this summer.

I didn't think about a science career until later in my freshman year, so I picked a liberal arts college. I'm going to be a junior, and I like the professors at my school, who I think I will learn a lot from. Anyone been in the same situation? Advice?