Research emphasis on secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PistolPete

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

For those of you that have recently completed secondaries, I had a quick question: which schools seem to specifically look for research experience (any essays on research you've done, etc.)? I know that US News has med schools listed by primary care and research, but I don't really pay attention to that.

If I could get some first-hand (recent) info that would be great. I ask because I have fairly extensive research experience, will be applying June 2007, with a slightly under-average GPA, and I would like to play up my strengths in this area, if possible. I'll have 2 (maybe 3) publications at time of application, with (hopefully) one first author.

Thanks. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

One of UCLA's topics is "what has been your most scholarly endeavor?" (research).
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

For those of you that have recently completed secondaries, I had a quick question: which schools seem to specifically look for research experience (any essays on research you've done, etc.)? I know that US News has med schools listed by primary care and research, but I don't really pay attention to that.

If I could get some first-hand (recent) info that would be great. I ask because I have fairly extensive research experience, will be applying June 2007, with a slightly under-average GPA, and I would like to play up my strengths in this area, if possible. I'll have 2 (maybe 3) publications at time of application, with (hopefully) one first author.

Thanks. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You should plan "to play up your strengths in this area" on EVERY secondary. Don't expect schools to specifically ask about it (though some might), because most schools take some people with no research experience. It is a good EC, but not a prereq, so most schools won't de facto make it one by specifically asking on the application. (I am assuming we are talking MD and not MD/PhD, where the research expectations would be different).