Research experience for school psych PhD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeanie3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight on how heavily past research experience is weighted for school psychology PhD programs? I'm looking at apply to programs during the fall application cycle, but so far I haven't had the opportunity to do any research. I am currently working on finishing up my MA in Counseling Psych and will be doing my year-long counseling practicum in a school starting this fall. I've been working full-time while finishing school, which is why it has been difficult to find research experience so far. :/ Also, my grad GPA is 3.97 and I'll be retaking the GRE this summer (old scores- 152Q, 155V, 4.5AWA).

Essentially my question is this: will the fact that I have no research experience (aside from a couple research classes in undergrad, and stats in both undergrad and grad school) keep me completely out of the running for PhD programs? I'm hoping that my other stats will boost me up, but I also want to be realistic.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! From my understanding, if you are interested in applying to any psychology PhD program, you should try to have some research experience under your belt. It is not IMPOSSIBLE to get into a program without research experience, but it will definitely be a huge burden and risk (which I would not advise taking). I hope that helps :)