research fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderwall

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!! This may be a dumb question but I haven't found any clear information..what is a research fellowship??Is it something you do while in residency or after or before residency??How long would a research fellowship be??

Members don't see this ad.

Research fellowships, which can also be referred to as a"post-doctoral fellowships" or just "post-docs", are often done after medical school, or during lab years in a residency. There is no hard and fast rule about where you have to be in your training to do a research fellowship. They are commonly found at national organizations like the NIH and NCI and each may have its own requirements (ie, PhD or MD, etc.). They are generally the length of time equivalent to the funding provided for the position.

Members don't see this ad :)
we should usually spend 1-2 years doing these fellowships.is it really worth spending such a time on doing them??(I have heard that the more years have elapsed from graduation yearmthe harder we find residency position).

we should usually spend 1-2 years doing these fellowships.is it really worth spending such a time on doing them??(I have heard that the more years have elapsed from graduation yearmthe harder we find residency position).

You are correct - the farther out one is from medical school graduation, the harder it is to find a US residency position, especially if you have not been doing clinical work.

HOWEVER, if you cannot get into a US residency and have no way of obtaining US clinical experience, its not a bad idea. Its just not your first choice.

yes but as doc cox said you can do it during lab years in a residency, right??

yes but as doc cox said you can do it during lab years in a residency, right??

Of course; that is when it is most common to do it. A couple of years in the lab during residency is wonderful for those planning an academic career, who want to be published, or just want some time away from clinical medicine.

My response above was in reference to another user who assumed we were talking about doing research between medical school and residency.