Research Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IH8ColdWeath3r

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So I am going to be a senior next year and apply to medical school. I really want to go to UTSW or UTH (both big research schools) and have decided to do research to help my chances after talking w several people on this forum. I have no formal research experience, because I don't like research and I would rather volunteer and be a tutor. However, I came across a lab that really interests me, especially b/c I' m a bio major and I am into neurobiology. :D

I have been invited to interview in the Alzheimer's lab at my school that is run by the Dean of the college of sciences. He is VERY well known (he's one of the top ten most cited research on AD in the WORLD). Should I take the research job if I am offered, even if it means stopping tutoring, which is something i really enjoy? Also, what should I wear to the interview? should I wear a suit? And, does it look bad that I have/will do only 1 year of research in my last year at the school right before applying? :rolleyes:(I transferred to this school though, in my defense and have been getting situated)

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a paid or unpaid position?

If its unpaid just wear normal clothes for paid I would not wear an entire suit maybe shirt tie, khakis.

If your interested in a research heavy school the consensus here seems to be that you should do research before (especially to learn if its even for you), as for tutoring it may have be an unfortunate causality but wait till your in and get your schedule.

Its unpaid,
but I am getting upper Div credit for it so it counts like a class. I agree that I shouldn't wear a full suit but again, this PI is the DEAN of the College of scientists and one of the top 10 cited Alz researchers in the WORLD. Wouldn't it be almost disrespectful not to dress professionally, in a full suite?

I don't like research bc in the past, all the research at my old school was marine and field biology. Who wants to go look at plants?

What do you think he may ask in the interview? I have been reading up on AD and on his research specifically. How should I prepare? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
ALWAYS dress up for interviews. even if you're going w/o a suit jacket, wear suit pants and a tie. Being overdressed is ALWAYS better than being underdressed. It's an interview. Dress like you care.

Also, is research better than tutor? As Sarah Palin would say, you betcha. Sometimes we have to do what we must do in order to do what we enjoy in the future. Do what you need to do to get in to the med programs you want to.

Also, is research better than tutor? As Sarah Palin would say, you betcha. Sometimes we have to do what we must do in order to do what we enjoy in the future. Do what you need to do to get in to the med programs you want to.

obama_biden_mccain_palin_compared_to_trains.jpg

My thoughts on Sarah Palin^^^^:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Suit is a little overkill for an undergrad lab position, though I wore one (and got the job). I'd go with slacks and a tie.

I tutored while working in a lab because it was flexible, I didn't have to take on new students if it didn't fit into my schedule.

Looking at his past papers, I would review the metabolic pathway and the role of mitochondria, maybe some biochemistry and review some molecular techniques such as qPCR and ELISA if you've learned them already.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to go all out, but given his status, at least make a nice impression.

Personally, I'd just do business casual: slacks/khakis + a dress shirt (tie is optional).

Give a firm handshake, don't mumble, and pretend to look interested when he goes off on some inevitable tangent describing the research in such depth that you have no idea what he's talking about. Also, chances are he doesn't give much of a **** about your GPA and MCAT score. Also, when he asks "Do you have any questions for me?" make sure you have a question, no matter how ******ed.

I think having a year of research experience is better than no experience, especially if you are applying to research-oriented schools... In addition, I think something like 80-90% of accepted applicants at most schools that do a lot of research have research experience (from the MSAR).

I also agree with Xcited392, go business casual and make sure to read some of the lab's research papers before the interview, it shows that you're interested in the research and that you've done your homework. :)

Especially seeing as how the weather is getting warmer, nobody will fault you for wearing business casual-a shirt, tie, slacks and maybe a vest-should be fine.

This is a bad advice. I've done both and they are equally important. It also depends on what kind of work you want to do in the future. Teaching is important because you need to understand how to explain new concepts to people who are new to that area.
Don't do what you need to do. Do what you enjoy doing, and that is what you need to do.

Ok quick question: I have a phone interview with a surgeon at Hopkins next week for a chance to work in his lab this summer. His assistant said the interview will only take 15 minutes,what kind of questions should I prepared to answer? I got set up with this doc through connections and I feel this phone interview is just a formality but I don't want to be blindsided with questions I'm not ready for,just want to be prepared!

I work full-time in an amazing department doing research.

I think what sealed the interview for me was imparting upon the Directors that I was in it to learn. I said that I wanted to be taught and absorb as much as I possibly could.

Because research parallels your own interests, it makes it easier for the hiring staff to trust that you will work hard.

Ok quick question: I have a phone interview with a surgeon at Hopkins next week for a chance to work in his lab this summer. His assistant said the interview will only take 15 minutes,what kind of questions should I prepared to answer? I got set up with this doc through connections and I feel this phone interview is just a formality but I don't want to be blindsided with questions I'm not ready for,just want to be prepared!

Make sure you wear a suit for the phone interview. :)

we get it...you're working one of the top ten in the WORLD... generally, you at least dress to casual formal so at least khaki/sports jacket/collared shirt. don't have to do the tie.