Research lab problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Berryayyy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am senior now and will be graduating after next semester. I have >1000 hours of research at 3 different labs (stayed at each lab for 1 year including summers), with the most recent one with >400 hours (9 months including summers). However, I do not have any publications...

I was going to return to my most recent lab (been there for 9 months but couldn't continue due to last semester's courses) since I didn't burn any bridges and was in contact with postdoc. But, postdoc will be leaving to start off her own lab in another state and she said that the PI said the lab is too full to accept volunteers. She is happy to write me a LOR.

My question is that should I find another lab to volunteer at (since I don't have any publications) for next semester or just focus on courses and MCAT? My course load will be around 16 and my current cGPA is 3.7 and sGPA is 3.61. I will be taking a gap year.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should have committed to 1 lab instead of lab hopping so much and you might have had a pub by now :angelic:

I'd focus on other stuff unless you are trying to pick a lab position as work for your gap year.

Very few UG students end up with pubs.

That's reassuring to know!

Hopefully, @gonnif doesn't see this...
I'm relatively new to SDN. Why would it be bad for Gonnif to see?

Should have committed to 1 lab instead of lab hopping so much and you might have had a pub by now :angelic:

I'd focus on other stuff unless you are trying to pick a lab position as work for your gap year.

Lol true I agree. I was a freshman who didn't know a thing about research when I started so I quit the first lab. I liked the 2nd lab but they demanded more hours from me which I just couldn't take on. Also the PI apparently was an admissions officer for MD/PhD program and said that he didn't like pure pre-med students, which I am. So I decided to leave after 1 year. Really liked my last lab and was hoping to go back but I guess I can't now :(

You have enough research experience; it's time to stop and focus on the other areas of your app.

Very few UG students end up with pubs.
Too late. Why, why, why is there this utter myth about publcation that floats around SDN. Less than 20% of applicants have ANY sort of poster, presentation or publication at campus level or higher. Less than 5% have anything “major.”

For example, a recent advisee had a poster at a university wide student symposium, at a national conference of undergraduate researchers, and other similar level. That is outstanding. Another has coauthor on a literature review and case study in a major journal. That student basically did 25-50 hours of work and just gor very lucky with a physician he shadowed

On the other hand I have an older PhD in public health who has 30+ first/second author and as many later authorships.

I have a better relationship with the postdoc who is also is very happy to write me a LOR. Should I ask her directly or ask the PI? Should I also be worried that I only stayed in the lab for 9 months and that I had to quit in the middle of the semester because I was sick and then the semester following that I couldn't commit due to class schedule? I stayed in the lab for around 1 year for the previous two labs.