research looking good

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemcnei2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does doing research look good on a dental application? If so, its hard to find research related to dentistry, so kinds of research look good?

Members don't see this ad.

dental research probably looks really good, but regular research in bio, chem etc are probably not that big of a boost, i personally have done over 2500hrs of research in chem, bio and biochem. I think from that, i've become a more diligent and hard working person, but that you can get through other kinds of work. And as for my knowledge in the field, i think it's pretty useless to dentistry

Does doing research look good on a dental application? If so, its hard to find research related to dentistry, so kinds of research look good?

The kind that produces publications in Nature, Science, Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think research helps in a few ways, first it helps you study/analyze problems differently than classroom learning, and I think that dental research is going to be much more important/more emphasized in the field than it is currently. If it is volunteering in a lab, it's one more thing to add to your resume, and a plus if you get your name on a publication. I'm applying to dental school now and have a background in research and I think that it provides an interesting perspective, and hopefully helps me.

I think research helps in a few ways, first it helps you study/analyze problems differently than classroom learning, and I think that dental research is going to be much more important/more emphasized in the field than it is currently. If it is volunteering in a lab, it's one more thing to add to your resume, and a plus if you get your name on a publication. I'm applying to dental school now and have a background in research and I think that it provides an interesting perspective, and hopefully helps me.

i agree, its something "different" than just studying for a material in a class room. especially when research involves hands on activity. it allows for work with the hand, critical thinking and exploration. IMO i only see it as a plus on a dental application

I have read that adcoms consider research useful as long as it is any science. Methods used in Dental research will not be any different than methods used in other types.

what's so special about dental research? :confused: It's usually based on other disciplines like epidemiology and biochemistry anyways (the ones you can actually work in), so how is that different from biochemical or microbiological research?

what's so special about dental research? :confused: It's usually based on other disciplines like epidemiology and biochemistry anyways (the ones you can actually work in), so how is that different from biochemical or microbiological research?

All research is like that, it is the application, or frame of reference that the research is directed towards that makes it relevant. For example, a person could study the genes that are involved in osteoblast development, which is cool, but what is the ultimate goal?

I look at it as research is good, research that has applications in dentistry is better

All research is like that, it is the application, or frame of reference that the research is directed towards that makes it relevant. For example, a person could study the genes that are involved in osteoblast development, which is cool, but what is the ultimate goal?

I look at it as research is good, research that has applications in dentistry is better

I don't think it matters - if you know how to run a dot blot for biological research you can run one for craniofacial development research... the adcoms presumably wouldn't care about the applications to dentistry part because you didn't really design the research (your PI did)