Research LOR dilemma -- accepted to summer internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How should I handle a summer internship LOR?

• Apply as early as possible and forget sending the summer internship LOR

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Be patient and wait for the summer internship LOR at non-rolling schools

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

ApoK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle. I am planning to be ready to submit on June 1st and I will have three LORs (2 science, 1 non-science) ready at that time. I'm planning to go forward and apply as early as possible at all rolling admissions schools.

For those elite/research schools that are not rolling admissions, however, I am wondering if I should wait until August to send my LORs. I have gained admission to a selective cardiology internship this summer and I was thinking about getting a LOR from the cardiologist that is going to be my PI. I'm thinking this may be helpful at schools like Harvard/Stanford/Duke. I have no idea if this is the right way to go about this.

Should I just apply as early as possible and send the LORs I have right away to all schools?? Or should I wait out for a fourth LOR for the research intensive, non-rolling schools?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, August doesn't really seem that "late" to turn in a secondary.

If you must:
Apply early with the letters you have at schools with rolling admissions, and late with the letter at schools with non-rolling admissions.

I'm applying this cycle. I am planning to be ready to submit on June 1st and I will have three LORs (2 science, 1 non-science) ready at that time. I'm planning to go forward and apply as early as possible at all rolling admissions schools.

For those elite/research schools that are not rolling admissions, however, I am wondering if I should wait until August to send my LORs. I have gained admission to a selective cardiology internship this summer and I was thinking about getting a LOR from the cardiologist that is going to be my PI. I'm thinking this may be helpful at schools like Harvard/Stanford/Duke. I have no idea if this is the right way to go about this.

Should I just apply as early as possible and send the LORs I have right away to all schools?? Or should I wait out for a fourth LOR for the research intensive, non-rolling schools?

you would be banking your entire application on a letter from a person that you don't know yet and does not know you. you never know what will happen, so i would just apply w. your current letters. use interfolio to have that PI upload that letter and send that one out later. thats just me