Research or Study Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

husky10501

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys. So i recently got accepted into a four-week study abroad program that will take place in Chile at the end of this summer. We'll be studying the country's health-care system and how it contrasts with the US's system. I was told, however, that I should be focusing on research instead of going on the trip. I am applying this summer and would like some feedback please. I don't have any research experience, however, I have a ton of clinical experience (shadowing 3 physicians, ER volunteer) and tons of extracurriculars (Student officer of a Pre-Health Organization, etc, etc). I honestly do not want to do any research and don't plan on getting an MD/PH.D. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys. So i recently got accepted into a four-week study abroad program that will take place in Chile at the end of this summer. We'll be studying the country's health-care system and how it contrasts with the US's system. I was told, however, that I should be focusing on research instead of going on the trip. I am applying this summer and would like some feedback please. I don't have any research experience, however, I have a ton of clinical experience (shadowing 3 physicians, ER volunteer) and tons of extracurriculars (Student officer of a Pre-Health Organization, etc, etc). I honestly do not want to do any research and don't plan on getting an MD/PH.D. What do you guys think?
I would go to chile, not like you are gonna get anything done in 4 weeks research wise anyways.

agreed...in 4 weeks the best you could hope to do is read some papers. Put it this way:

4 weeks is an insignificant time to do anything, it's not going to make or break your application.

However, a trip to Chile is something interesting and if nothing else you'll have a lot more to talk about from that than your 4 week stint in research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly do not want to do any research and don't plan on getting an MD/PH.D. What do you guys think?

If you don't want to do research at this point, then don't do it. Square peg, round hole. You might find a research opportunity in the future that you do like and change your mind, but for now, you have a better option instead that you are more interested in.

So i recently got accepted into a four-week study abroad program that will take place in Chile at the end of this summer. We'll be studying the country's health-care system and how it contrasts with the US's system.

This sounds really interesting, and you are excited about it. You'll be learning about health policy (U.S. and Chile), practicing Spanish (if you know any), having fun, etc. Go for it!

Go to Chile. 4 weeks of research is nothing. Being able to contrast and compare the US system (which is changing) to Chile's would be a great thing to talk about during interviews. research...blah blah blah.

Everyone does research. Do study abroad.

Go to Chile...it's a more distinguishing opportunity that a 4 week research program. Adcoms want to see "unique" experiences. Chile is way more unique than the research opportunity you have, in my opinion.

Go abroad and have fun. You can do research later.

Chile may not be the best place for having fun though. Western Europe would have been a better choice (that's what I did).

Go to Chile!!!

While your lack of research may hurt your app at the most competitive research-oriented schools, 4 weeks of research now really won't make any difference anyway. On the other hand, a 4 week study-abroad trip will definitely broaden your horizons and give you perfect material for your personal statement.

Have fun! I'm jealous.

thanks for you advice guys! you're all great!

Though it''s not actually lab-based research, it seems like what you're doing in Chile is research itself. You're "researching" the Chilean health care system and then comparing it to the US system. While it's not research in the typical sense, it seems like you will use a research-based approach, and thus could classify the trip as some sort of research.

Definitely go to Chile though. I made the same choice that you have now- I'm going to Colombia for eight weeks this summer instead of working in a lab.

On a more serious note, there really are a lot of summer REUs all over the place.

Study abroad, study abroad, study abroad - no contest!!!

Research = :thumbdown: