Research paper question-urgent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meticulouslykiwi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an author on a publication and just saw that I was only listed for conceptualizing the paper, but I also helped edit and wrote parts of the paper. Should I ask my PI about adding my name to the editing part? I don’t want to annoy her, so I wanted to ask here before I approach her.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If its already published its probably just water under the bridge. TBH the most important part is conceptualizing anyway.

If it hasnt been submitted yet I dont see the harm of bringing it up unless you already have a poor relationship with your PI.

Reactions: 1 user
If its already published its probably just water under the bridge. TBH the most important part is conceptualizing anyway.

If it hasnt been submitted yet I dont see the harm of bringing it up unless you already have a poor relationship with your PI.
It’s still in review, but I’m just afraid that adcoms will ask why I wasn't listed for contributing to writing and editing the paper. Is that a concern that I should have?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not an expert, but what matters to adcoms is whether you are an author or not. I wonder if they actually go into each pub to see what each of us did.

Last edited:
  • Inappropriate
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Not an expert, but what matters to adcoms is whether you are first author or not. I wonder if they actually go into each pub to see what each of us did.
not a first author, unfortunately.....maybe some will? I’m not too sure either

not a first author, unfortunately.....maybe some will? I’m not too sure either
Nothing unfortunate about that. Not a lot of people have pubs at all. Anyways, my point was if you think it will strain your relationship with your PI, it is ok not to push. But if you have a good relationship, go for it. Btw - did you apply this cycle or are you planning on applying next cycle?

I am an author on a publication and just saw that I was only listed for conceptualizing the paper, but I also helped edit (three times) and wrote some parts of the paper (about 2 paragraphs). Should I ask my PI about adding my name to the editing part? I don’t want to annoy her, so I wanted to ask here before I approach her.

It’s still in review, but I’m just afraid that adcoms will ask why I wasn't listed for contributing to writing and editing the paper. Is that a concern that I should have?
I think you should ask. Or alternatively, ask the PI if she would elaborate on your contributions in her LOR.

Not an adcom but I dont think i've ever been asked that in an interview and I dont think its something you should worry about.

I think you should ask. Or alternatively, ask the PI if she would elaborate on your contributions in her LOR.
She took my name out of the conceptualization and added into the writing. I’m so confused. Should I be concerned?

Did you discuss it with her and that's what resulted in the change?
I asked her if I could potentially be including in the editing and writing part of the contributions since I had written some parts and edited the entire manuscript. She said "yes". I didn’t really ask for an in-depth discussion

I asked her if I could potentially be including in the editing and writing part of the contributions since I had written some parts and edited the entire manuscript. She said "yes". I didn’t really ask for an in-depth discussion
Where are you seeing all this? Is there a doi? As long as your name is in the list of authors on the doi, you should be fine.

Where are you seeing all this? Is there a doi? As long as your name is in the list of authors on the doi, you should be fine.
in the manuscript that we sent back to the reviewers. Yes I am an author (I also contributed to the data part).

I know, I was being an idiot. Am I just screwed now? Not sure how It’ll impact my app :cryi:
I very highly doubt that adcoms will look up your paper and say "Oh, they only wrote and edited this? And didn't even conceptualize it? REJECT." Hell no, ain't nobody got time for that! Most people don't even have authorship, period. This is not worth your stress. Celebrate your accomplishment!

If anything, you'll be asked about the article in an interview question. That's what happened to me.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I am an author on a publication and just saw that I was only listed for conceptualizing the paper, but I also helped edit and wrote parts of the paper. Should I ask my PI about adding my name to the editing part? I don’t want to annoy her, so I wanted to ask here before I approach her.
You're overthinking this. You're a co-author. You made a contribution to human knowledge.

You have every right to be proud of this accomplishment.

End of story

Not an expert, but what matters to adcoms is whether you are first author or not. I wonder if they actually go into each pub to see what each of us did.

This advice is so ignorant of the admissions process that it's outright malicious.

• Love
I know, I was being an idiot. Am I just screwed now? Not sure how It’ll impact my app :cryi:
I think you'll need to let it lie now and not have another discussion with the PI that will be viewed as nit-picky. Regardless, you made significant contributions and are author-worthy. You'll be fine.

• Love
You're overthinking this. You're a co-author. You made a contribution to human knowledge.

End of story

This advice is so ignorant of the admissions process that it's outright malicious.
YAYYYYY. Now I can relax!!

End of story

I apologize if I miscommunicated. I meant all that matters is whether you are an author or not and that adcoms may not be going into every pub to see exactly what each person did etc. I was telling the OP this was not a big deal, but that I was not an expert. No mal-intent at all.

Last edited: