Research prior to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdf4321

Accepted UNECOM 2017!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find a concrete answer to this question. Prior to starting medical school this fall, I conducted wet-lab research at a national laboratory for one year (which I don't think I can elaborate on here), then subsequently worked for another year doing clinical research for an aesthetic company near the silicon valley area. Does that constitute research experience for residency applications?

Several poster presentations at biotech conferences.
Probably no publications from national lab work due to the nature of the work. At least nothing that will be published in journals, only internal technical reports (which have my name on several of them).
The aesthetic company gives all research credit to big name physicians, so nothing here either.

As much as I have enjoyed research up to this point, I'm ready to work with people on a more personal level. I'm not sure if I should seek research next summer or take the time off. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure residencies look more towards research done during medical school. I dunno how much weight research done prior would hold.

I'm pretty sure residencies look more towards research done during medical school. I dunno how much weight research done prior would hold.

Fair enough, thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would still include it.

I put my college research on my application. It was bench science. Some programs mentioned it while I was interviewing for residency.

I'm publishing 2x in ophthalmology before I leave for MS1 in July, and I'm sure as hell putting it.

I've got several pubs and poster presentations from undergrad and grad school; I sure as hell am going to add them.

Yea, I didn't mean don't include them. I just meant they may or may not weigh much.

I have been wondering the same thing. I am doing a year of research before I start medical school and I will end up with a first author paper, a few second author papers, and an author on a poster. I think that is pretty decent, but will it be frowned upon if I don't continue research over the next few years?

I have been wondering the same thing. I am doing a year of research before I start medical school and I will end up with a first author paper, a few second author papers, and an author on a poster. I think that is pretty decent, but will it be frowned upon if I don't continue research over the next few years?

You're fine. Relax and enjoy your last few weeks of freedom. I leave my research position in 3 days, I'm so excited to be done for a while.

I disagree. Research is research, and medical students don't have the time to do substantial research.

I disagree. Research is research, and medical students don't have the time to do substantial research.

Not really. It really depends on the quality of the research I would say. Undergrad research can be split into two categories. You actually do research, or you clean up messes. People that have 1 year of "research experience" where they cleaned dirty glassware or made gel preps doesn't really hold much weight. If you spent 2-3 years working on a project, had multiple publications, then yes, that might hold some weight later on.

As a med student, you are busy, but from other people that I've talked to that did research while in med school (usually in the summers), they did actual research. Never had one tell me they spent the entire summer cleaning the bench. While I've heard many undergrads tell me their actual research experiences in dish washing.

I'm sure someone who's gone on residency interviews can say better whether it helps or not. I see it similar to how things you did in high school don't really hold much weight during medical school application. If research would be the deciding factor, they're probably looking for someone that maintained research interest through medical school. Then again, it's just my 2 cents. Could be totally wrong and any research experience enables them to check that little box.

College research holds weight in residency apps. I did research for four years in undergrad, published 3 first author papers and many posters/ oral presentations. It came up in every interview, and almost every program said they needed a good researcher as a resident as well. College research counts as long as you were not washing dishes as somebody previously stated.

College research holds weight in residency apps. I did research for four years in undergrad, published 3 first author papers and many posters/ oral presentations. It came up in every interview, and almost every program said they needed a good researcher as a resident as well. College research counts as long as you were not washing dishes as somebody previously stated.

It looks like a publication or two is key, though. Correct? I'm sure it will be more enjoyable once it is no longer my full time job. I'm just glad I'll be getting back to studies again.

Thank you, everyone.

Not really. It really depends on the quality of the research I would say. Undergrad research can be split into two categories. You actually do research, or you clean up messes. People that have 1 year of "research experience" where they cleaned dirty glassware or made gel preps doesn't really hold much weight. If you spent 2-3 years working on a project, had multiple publications, then yes, that might hold some weight later on.

As a med student, you are busy, but from other people that I've talked to that did research while in med school (usually in the summers), they did actual research. Never had one tell me they spent the entire summer cleaning the bench. While I've heard many undergrads tell me their actual research experiences in dish washing.

I'm sure someone who's gone on residency interviews can say better whether it helps or not. I see it similar to how things you did in high school don't really hold much weight during medical school application. If research would be the deciding factor, they're probably looking for someone that maintained research interest through medical school. Then again, it's just my 2 cents. Could be totally wrong and any research experience enables them to check that little box.
Now you're trying to twist things around just so you can say you're right. Obviously cleaning dishes and making gels is not real research experience. If you're putting down research experience, it is common sense that they will ask you about it and evaluate it based on your experience. The conversation has an inherent assumption that we're talking about real research. The point is stands: just because it happened in medical school doesn't mean it supersedes pre-medical school research.

It looks like a publication or two is key, though. Correct? I'm sure it will be more enjoyable once it is no longer my full time job. I'm just glad I'll be getting back to studies again.

Thank you, everyone.

Everything is good (bronze medal) , but publications are the silver medal, and first authors are the gold medal...

Followup question to this comment... I'm a nontrad who worked in research for 6+ years as my career. I have 5 publications (one 1st author) and expect at least 3 additional (maybe more), as projects I've been involved in get published in the next few years. I attended a few conferences, was on many posters, several as first author, and was the lab manager for 3 years. How much will this count for when applying to residency? Will it be looked down upon if I don't continue with some type of research while in school? I already know I like and can do research and don't really know what I would gain from such a short experience. I want to do everything I can to keep my options open but I was really hoping get some new experiences during the summer after M1 if possible, maybe a medical trip somewhere.

Followup question to this comment... I'm a nontrad who worked in research for 6+ years as my career. I have 5 publications (one 1st author) and expect at least 3 additional (maybe more), as projects I've been involved in get published in the next few years. I attended a few conferences, was on many posters, several as first author, and was the lab manager for 3 years. How much will this count for when applying to residency? Will it be looked down upon if I don't continue with some type of research while in school? I already know I like and can do research and don't really know what I would gain from such a short experience. I want to do everything I can to keep my options open but I was really hoping get some new experiences during the summer after M1 if possible, maybe a medical trip somewhere.

From what I've gathered I believe all of your experiences prior to med school are still important. I accomplished a couple big things prior to med school, and I'll be damned if they don't "count" for anything. PDs know that your time in med school isn't what it was before you started. As for your wish to have new experiences, you could try going on medical mission trips during the Winter or Spring. This way if you wanted to you could try to find a research gig during school.

Someone please correct me if I'm inaccurate. I would love to hear from some experienced applicants on the weight of their research/how it was viewed when applying or interviewing for residency.