Research Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wake2Wake7

woof!
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As an MS1 future rad hopeful, I am trying to figure out what research project I want to take on this spring/summer. I have a great (PAID) opportunity with a neurosurgeon, but I am worried that research in this area could hurt me when I am applying for Rads.

Should I hold out for a project more directly related to rads?

edit: I have an interest in IR/INR and I have previous research as an undergraduate in rads.

thanks!
 
It won't hurt you at all, in fact it will be a huge help, especially if you plan on going into INR.
 
(I wouldn't plan on going into INR. As I've heard, the numebr of INR docs in the country is tiny... and dropping. There is no board certification for INR. Neurosurgeons are doing the work instead.)

I've been told by my Radiology residency director that the type of research is not the most important thing. It's more the fact that you do it. However, you should also see your upcoming summer as an opportunity to get to know the Radiologists in your home hospital. They are a great resource that can't be fully utilized when you only got to know them for your 2-4 wk RAD elective.