Research Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goooooober

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that are doing or have done research during residency, I had a question. I am interested in a highly competative fellowship. I will be doing bench research during residency and I am hoping to get my PhD during residency. Can I get a PhD in the field that is relavent to my fellowship? For example, if I want to do surg onc, can I get a PhD based on the bench research I have done during residency for that fellowship? If so, do I have to apply to grad school during residency, or will my program set it up for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your ambition. Three places that I saw people getting PhDs during their residency were UChicago, Hopkins and Penn, although I am sure that people do it at all similar level places. They said that they were trying for 3 years, but 4 was more likely. I think I have heard of someone doing that at UCLA as well.

The one that I talked to at length about it was enrolled in a graduate school at that program's university. I would imagine that you would have to apply, but if you are good enough to get into a program that will think a PhD is a good idea, you should have no problem getting into grad school.

As for what you get a PhD in, you can't get a PhD in surgical oncology, but popular fields would be immunology, molecular biology, etc.

Remember a PhD is not soley based on your research, but there will be required coursework as well. One of my fellow residents is currently working towards her PhD and she had to gain admission to the graduate school after approval to take extra time off from the residency (besides what she would be doing in the lab, since you can't get a PhD in the standard 2 year lab commitment), get a tuition scholarship for the PhD, and jump through lots of hoops.

That said, its possible at most places, but again bear in mind that it will likely take you 4 years and you have to choose a field which is offered at the university. You may or may not be able to use your research in Surg Onc towards your dissertation.

Members don't see this ad :)
More power to you if you want the PhD. I don't think it's going to make any difference in your fellowship applications. Having a productive 2-3 years in the lab will certainly help, but the PhD won't likely make much difference. A much bigger issue is working with a prominent research mentor who will introduce you to all the people in the position to hire you.

Thanks for the education guys. It helps out a lot. I just really didn't know how it worked for residents that wanted a PhD. I was hoping to do it in 3 years vs. 4. While we are on the topic, what are some of the important questions to ask potential research mentors before choosing a lab to work in and is there a certain way to ask questions so they don't become offended (eg. is your lab funded well?) I really want to join a productive lab that will allow me to accomplish a lot during a short period of time (at least 2 years).

Thanks for the education guys. It helps out a lot. I just really didn't know how it worked for residents that wanted a PhD. I was hoping to do it in 3 years vs. 4. While we are on the topic, what are some of the important questions to ask potential research mentors before choosing a lab to work in and is there a certain way to ask questions so they don't become offended (eg. is your lab funded well?) I really want to join a productive lab that will allow me to accomplish a lot during a short period of time (at least 2 years).

Getting the PhD - this will vary extensively by university. The graduate schools will set the rules and your dept of surgery will have no direct say in this. Some programs (Minnesota) have things set up so that anybody can get a PhD in 3 years. In most cases, that's not true. You'll likely have to meet all the requirements that regular PhD students do and be subject to the uncertain 4-8 year timeframe for finishing.

Finding a research mentor: look up their publications online - see if they've been successful. NIH funding is public record, you can look it up on their website. (With some exceptions, any researcher of note will have NIH funding). And don't be afraid to ask important questions directly. Your program director, chairman and senior residents should be able to help with this. Another thing to do is look up the publications of residents who have previously worked in a given lab.

Finally, have a clear vision for what you want out of the lab. If it's being competitive for fellowship X, then ask prominent attendings in specialty X what sort of work you need to do, what you need to publish, which meetings you need to present at and who can help you get there. Ideally, one of these people can be your research mentor. If not, ask them to be your career mentor - and be direct about it.

Totally agree with pilot doc. It has a lot to do with the mentor you hook up with. And DO ask those ballsie questions about funding productivity etc. It is all about the name that's behind you.

I am also interested in research... i admit, i love it... but damn glad I won't be a PhD alone. Don't know if I want the trouble of a PhD, but I have heard that it's CERTAINLY WORTH IT TO GET SOME DEGREE. Be it a masters.. so long as you publish and it's good work.

I probabaly will get sucked into the 4 yr PhD tract. I LOVE MOLECULAR and think surgeons can have a HUGE impact in the field.