Research-related silly question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conflagration

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter if I have research in a non-biology field?

Hello, I'm a rising junior currently and I presented last year at a symposium that my college holds about the history of statistics. It was offered to me to write an article, potentially getting published on my own right, and presenting again.

I'm fascinated by the fusion of math and science; I have debated grinding out a Ph.D in Computational Biology should I decide that MD is not up my alley.

I'm just curious because it seems like math research in any aspect is rare; and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Currently, my GPAs are slightly lackluster. I have a 3.3 for both categories right now; which can and will be rising.

Would putting this research on an application help me? Should I nose around in the biology department for opportunities to work with undergrads there?

Comments are appreciated! Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

If I was to also pursue that research, it would be out of interest. I was curious to see if that somehow made me appear as "less committed" or something equally inane that my pre-health mind enjoys torturing me with.

I'm glad to hear that there isn't a bias against math folks; I'm a math major. :D

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Calling yourself, "silly," rather than framing your question in a way you're proud of is the more serious problem, esp. come interview day. You can ask almost anything in life so long as you word it in a manner that reflects well on the person asking, otherwise it draws negative attention.

Scientific research is what ADCOMs are looking for. If you end up wanting to specialize in a field related to your research, even better.