Research v. Summer course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meticulouslykiwi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've received an awesome advice for my question but, I'd like to also have your opinions: would you pick research with a professor during the summer (she told me that I'd have to apply to the program and it's not guaranteed that I'll get in) or take second semester Biology so I won't have to take it with Organic Chemistry in the fall? I have to choose either or, because the summer research program doesn't allow students to take summer courses.

Edit: Please tell me your reasoning for picking whichever one!

Thank y'all in advance! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I've received an awesome advice for my question but, I'd like to also have your opinions: would you pick research with a professor during the summer (she told me that I'd have to apply to the program and it's not guaranteed that I'll get in) or take second semester Biology so I won't have to take it with Organic Chemistry in the fall? I have to choose either or, because the summer research program doesn't allow students to take summer courses.

Thank y'all in advance! :D
Research

Members don't see this ad :)
Research is valuable experience and looks good on an application. If you put in the effort, you'll definitely be able to succeed in both O Chem and Bio.

Reactions: 1 user
Research b/c you shouldn't take summer science courses.

It all really depends. One or two summer courses isn't terrible. I would go against everyone, and say take the summer course, so you can focus on orgo next semester. Then you get into a lab. But it's what you want to do.

I mean Research and EC's won't mean anything if you have mediocre grades/MCAT