Research - Volunteering/Healthcare or Extracurricular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xlr8

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
_

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey I had a quick question about what my research should be categorized as. In my research I prep the patients (humans) myself, and record their EEG (brain waves) and analyze them for my project.

I am guessing this is considered clinical research, but on an application that I filling out should this go under "Volunteer and/or Healthcare Experience" or "Extracurricular Activities" ?

-Well, if you aren't getting paid to do it, we can add Volunteer to the list

-We've got humans + medicine, so we can add clinical.

-Research

Not quite sure what your options are, but don't select extracurricular if you can avoid it - I'd classify it as volunteer clinical or clinical research if possible. What kind of app are you filling out at this point in the year?

_

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you classify an activity as both clinical and volunteer on the application(EMT)?

Any one second that or feel different?

It is an application to a accelerated program, and I'd much rather put my research in "Volunteer and/or Healthcare Experience" because I initially volunteered for the research, and have contact with the patients when prepping them, but the section seems like they would only like healthcare related activities under that section.

Honestly, you could probably classify it as whatever the hell you want! If you are lacking in a particular area, use this to fill it in. Will it matter? In reality, probably not. If the admissions people really want to look into this activity they will talk with you about it or read a description you'll most likely supply them with.

Too bad there's no all of the above?

I'm doing the same manner of research; Cases of a certain disease in my area that I am analysing with an M.D. I'm not being paid, it's real information about patients, so it has clinical applications and possibly real world implications if we get it published.