Research - Volunteering/Healthcare or Extracurricular?

PugMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey I had a quick question about what my research should be categorized as. In my research I prep the patients (humans) myself, and record their EEG (brain waves) and analyze them for my project.

I am guessing this is considered clinical research, but on an application that I filling out should this go under "Volunteer and/or Healthcare Experience" or "Extracurricular Activities" ?

-Well, if you aren't getting paid to do it, we can add Volunteer to the list

-We've got humans + medicine, so we can add clinical.

-Research

Not quite sure what your options are, but don't select extracurricular if you can avoid it - I'd classify it as volunteer clinical or clinical research if possible. What kind of app are you filling out at this point in the year?

About the Ads

Dr. Syzygy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Can you classify an activity as both clinical and volunteer on the application(EMT)?

PugMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Any one second that or feel different?

It is an application to a accelerated program, and I'd much rather put my research in "Volunteer and/or Healthcare Experience" because I initially volunteered for the research, and have contact with the patients when prepping them, but the section seems like they would only like healthcare related activities under that section.

Honestly, you could probably classify it as whatever the hell you want! If you are lacking in a particular area, use this to fill it in. Will it matter? In reality, probably not. If the admissions people really want to look into this activity they will talk with you about it or read a description you'll most likely supply them with.

Too bad there's no all of the above?

Vanguard23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm doing the same manner of research; Cases of a certain disease in my area that I am analysing with an M.D. I'm not being paid, it's real information about patients, so it has clinical applications and possibly real world implications if we get it published.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.