Research volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlyaR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I emailed a local SOM's faculty (10 of them) my interest in volunteering at their labs and so far have three interviews. I didn't expect to get more than one to be honest and am wondering if it would be poor practice to participate in all of them. I guess this question is better off asked to the PIs, but wondering if you guys have any input on these commitments

Members don't see this ad.

why not do all 3 interviews? You dont know if youre going to obtain the position so its best to do all 3 and hopefully choose the one you think suits you best

Reactions: 1 user
Go to all three interviews and pick the lab where you feel you'll have the best rapport with the PI AND the most interesting project.

How do you think we PhDs pick our thesis and post-doc labs???

I emailed a local SOM's faculty (10 of them) my interest in volunteering at their labs and so far have three interviews. I didn't expect to get more than one to be honest and am wondering if it would be poor practice to participate in all of them. I guess this question is better off asked to the PIs, but wondering if you guys have any input on these commitments

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely go to all 3. Some PIs think of undergrad volunteers as free dish-washing labor (which is a completely respectable job in undergrad, but not much fun to do for free), while others might be more inclined to have you help out a grad student/post-doc and maybe eventually get your own project. You want to make sure that your idea of undergrad volunteering and their idea of it match up.

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious (since I'll be doing the same thing next month) - did you just email cold (from info on the school's site) or did you have some type of networking connection? Also, how'd you phrase your email?