Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressedhahaha

Reaction score
I know that research is a valued component of an application (although not necessary), I was just wondering what kind of research would be considered valuable? I have experience as a research assistant in a psychology lab, so not really animal related at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Any research experience is a plus, especially if you were involved in grant writing or manuscript publication at all. Veterinary-related projects where you worked with DVMs would be ideal, but not necessary. My undergrad research experience was also non-animal related.

Reactions: 1 user
I know that research is a valued component of an application (although not necessary), I was just wondering what kind of research would be considered valuable? I have experience as a research assistant in a psychology lab, so not really animal related at all.
Any research. If it’s animal-based, then that’s likely preferable, but I know people who never did animal-based research that got in. That being said, it doesn’t have to be in a lab with pipettes and PCR to be valuable. I did goat reproductive behavioral research. If anything, Interviewers found that really interesting and had a lot of questions about it. So it’s about what you gained from it, not so much the impact it had or the direct relevance to veterinary medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is in a biosecurity research lab (through the vet school). But I mainly breed and sort mosquitoes for them. So animal related but not directly. They still seem to like it. In fact have to head there in a few!

Last edited:
I applied with ~5000 research hours in a neuroscience lab that uses rodents. It is my current full time job and I am relying heavily on this aspect to help me get in since I've done surgeries on mice and have bred large scale colonies and have 5 published papers, 2 first author. I have extensive large animal experience since I grew up on a farm, but I'm hoping the research makes up for the fact that my veterinary hours are semi lacking. I think it'll help for some schools, I think other schools probably won't care as much.

Any kind is valuable- you’re demonstrating an understanding of the scientific process, interest in problem-solving and contributing knowledge to society. Animal-based is great but definitely not necessary :)

Reactions: 1 user