research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red Head

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i never hear much about research, is there much for pod?

Members don't see this ad.

i never hear much about research, is there much for pod?

Tons. I had a poster that just took first place at the APMA scientific conference. We are trying to get the project published. Scholl has the CLEAR lab which is a large research lab. Temple has Harvey Lemont who is a well published podiatrist. California has done a lot of research in the past. DMU has recently had a big push in the research area (back to back APMA 1st place posters).

So to make a long story short, yes research is important in podiatry.

Tons. I had a poster that just took first place at the APMA scientific conference. We are trying to get the project published. Scholl has the CLEAR lab which is a large research lab. Temple has Harvey Lemont who is a well published podiatrist. California has done a lot of research in the past. DMU has recently had a big push in the research area (back to back APMA 1st place posters).

So to make a long story short, yes research is important in podiatry.

gratz on the first place, I was thinking doing some research or at least giving it a try

Members don't see this ad :)
gratz on the first place, I was thinking doing some research or at least giving it a try

It is definitely rewarding in many ways. It helps your CV and the background research makes you a "expert" on certain areas. One nice thing at DMU is you can do basic science research or podiatric research. They have scholarships for working on a project through the summer between the 1st and 2nd year.

I'm sure there are similar programs at all of the schools.

that sounds good, i think ill look into

what was your research on? if you dont mind me asking

Lower limb anatomy project on the presence of the extensor capsularis
BMD in DM population and Charcot patients*
Vitamin D levels in DM population and Charcot patients (this is what was at APMA)
Onychomycosis and Vicks VapoRub*
Arthroscopy of the 1st MPTJ*

Works in progress, the BMD project is done and just needs to be written. The other two projects have been handed down to underclassmen. I had other projects but some of them just don't develop into anything.

some of that was a little Greek to me :confused:, heh, but sounds interesting.:thumbup:

I did a semester of undergrad research but all I was doing inorganic chem... making novel crystal structures (wasn't too interested in the topic, but at least I got an experience)

o did you have 1st/2nd year pods working under you? how did you get interested into it or why did you want to do this?

some of that was a little Greek to me :confused:, heh, but sounds interesting.:thumbup:

I did a semester of undergrad research but all I was doing inorganic chem... making novel crystal structures (wasn't too interested in the topic, but at least I got an experience)

o did you have 1st/2nd year pods working under you? how did you get interested into it or why did you want to do this?

I have a few 3rd year students that I am working with, and I'm sure that they will take on a few 2nd year students. Generally, 1st year students are too busy with DMU's class schedule to think about research until the year is over.

I had never done research before and frankly I was not interested in research until my second year in school. Here's my story:

CPMS was working on research but it was only known within the school and region. I really wanted to increase awareness of the research that was going on at CPMS. I came up with an idea for a CPMS Research Day and poster competition. After talking to the dean, he placed me on a few committees that were dedicated to the topic. I then started the CPMS Research club as part of our Foot and Ankle Surgeons club (SCACFAS), which I was president of. So, after doing all of this work to increase research awareness I became interested in research. It was a very round-about way of becoming involved.

Currently, I enjoy research and I really like to do come up with different projects and do the back-research. I feel that it is a great way to study and you are giving back the "pool" of knowledge.