Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mathlegend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kinds of research could a podiatrist go into? Is it realistic of me thinking I can become a podiatrist that treats patients but also conducts research? And would that mean that I will have to become a professor?

Members don't see this ad.

Our professors constantly talk about how there is not enough research in the field of podiatry. In fact, the school just hired someone who specializes in research in the lower limb just to fill that purpose. They want to encourage some of us to get into the research aspect of the field.

So, yes, I think there is plenty of opportunity for research and you don't need to be a professor to do that. The problem is that it is not as glamorous as surgery -therefore not as attractive.

True mathlegend: The door is wide open for research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just interviewed at Scholl and if you mention any interest in research, then they have the head research dean of the PhD program talk with you. The sky is the limit on research in podiatry, so if you have an honest interest in research then you should have NO problem pursuing that avenue during your studies.

I just interviewed at Scholl and if you mention any interest in research, then they have the head research dean of the PhD program talk with you. The sky is the limit on research in podiatry, so if you have an honest interest in research then you should have NO problem pursuing that avenue during your studies.

Did you have to come up with an idea of what you would think you would be interested in researching or did you basically tell them that you had an interest in research in general?

Just curious

At the beginning of the day, Kim (ass't director of admissions) chats with the interview group and asks if anybody has an interest in research and/or the PhD program. If you are, she tries to set you up to speak with Dr. Intine who is one of the members of the interview panel as well as an assistant professor and an adviser for the PhD program (not one of the dean's like I previously posted, my fault). I personally was not interested in research, but of the other interviewers had an interest so they spoke with him for a bit after we ate lunch.

Much research needs to be done. I know at NYCPM, we take a class our first year called RMEP (Research methodology and epidemiology) where we talk about all the kinds of research. We also filled out a survey on the first day about research so that we could be matched with faculty doing research involving our interests. Walking through our halls, there are posters everywhere from students and their research.