Residence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KenFred

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in one state and would like to attend a school in another; however, I have a friend in that state. Can I claim I live with him at his address to ge the instate tuititon rate?

Has this been done before?

Members don't see this ad.

Residency regulations vary from state to state. My suggestion is to contact the financial aid coordinator at the dental school you are considering to simply find out how residency is determined in their state.

I do know that some states require residency be established (driver's license, voter's registration, etc. prior to March 1 of the year prior to the anticipated date of entry. In other words, if you were beginning dental school in August 2004, you would have had to establish residency prior to March 1, 2003.

In other states, it may be as simple as becoming a real estate owner.

Then again, some schools (I believe the University of Michigan; however, I do not know this for certain as I have not yet contacted them), consider state residency by the location of the high school you attended.

Again, contact the school directly (FA office, as they are aware of award regulations). :idea:

I agree. Most states also consider how long you have been residing in the state, as well as how much physical property you have moved/registered there, in order to assess how much you have been contributing to their tax base. With the unsteady economy and very tight state budgets, many states have upped-the-ante on gaining resident status, and many also have provisions that deny such status if the state deems that you are only moving there for educational purposes (e.g. Oregon). Every state is different so do your homework and check it twice.