Residence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mestmet31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to d-schools this upcoming summer. I live with my parents in NJ, however we have another residence in NY. Would I be able to be to claim to have duel residency in both states, resulting in me being an instate applicant for both states schools (UMDNJ/ buffalo and stony brook).

Members don't see this ad.

Lol good question but I doubt it. Which state do you attend school? Where do you get your mail? Where are you registered as a citizen? Surely you can't be a citizen of both. That just wouldn't be fair to other students...

i attend school in NJ and receive mail to my NJ address. However if I really wanted to, I could change it to the NY residence. So I am not sure...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want to find out I would suggest calling schools in NJ and NY and asking them. They don't know you, you're not applying right now, what's the worst that could happen? I still think it has to be one or the other.

You likely can only claim residence in one state. You'd be better off picking NY, as there are more schools that you can benefit from being in-state, rather than just UMDNJ.

Where's your driver's lincense from? Also, I know Minnesota does for in-state, consider how long one has been there, too.

At Stony they told us that to be considered an NY resident you must file your taxes in NY and have an NY drivers license & NY car insurance.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can only check one box on the application for residency. Go with NY (and start the process of getting car insurance, driver's license, filing taxes etc) because there are more state schools in NY. Unless you've toured UMDNJ and love it... or hate the possibility of being uber cold Buffalo. :)