1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Residence

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by mestmet31, Dec 27, 2008.

1. mestmet31

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I will be applying to d-schools this upcoming summer. I live with my parents in NJ, however we have another residence in NY. Would I be able to be to claim to have duel residency in both states, resulting in me being an instate applicant for both states schools (UMDNJ/ buffalo and stony brook).

2. DROCKINDAHOUSE

DROCKINDAHOUSE UTHSCSA c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Lol good question but I doubt it. Which state do you attend school? Where do you get your mail? Where are you registered as a citizen? Surely you can't be a citizen of both. That just wouldn't be fair to other students...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mestmet31

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i attend school in NJ and receive mail to my NJ address. However if I really wanted to, I could change it to the NY residence. So I am not sure...

4. DROCKINDAHOUSE

DROCKINDAHOUSE UTHSCSA c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you really want to find out I would suggest calling schools in NJ and NY and asking them. They don't know you, you're not applying right now, what's the worst that could happen? I still think it has to be one or the other.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You likely can only claim residence in one state. You'd be better off picking NY, as there are more schools that you can benefit from being in-state, rather than just UMDNJ.

6. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Where's your driver's lincense from? Also, I know Minnesota does for in-state, consider how long one has been there, too.

7. rewJW

rewJW surviving
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    At Stony they told us that to be considered an NY resident you must file your taxes in NY and have an NY drivers license & NY car insurance.

8. DGDDS

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can only check one box on the application for residency. Go with NY (and start the process of getting car insurance, driver's license, filing taxes etc) because there are more state schools in NY. Unless you've toured UMDNJ and love it... or hate the possibility of being uber cold Buffalo. :)