Residencies in Podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocHopefl

TheFuture
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN'ers,

I was wondering if they have pediatrics residencies after completing Podiatry school? If I had a choice, I would prefer to treat children. Just a question for all you experienced SDN'ers!

Thanks!

FDH

Members don't see this ad.

The doctor I shadowed did a fellowship in pediatrics.

One of the DPM's I shadowed (he specializes in foot and ankle reconstruction, never removes corns, hangnails, etc.) told me that a lot of podiatrists dont like to treat too many children because of lawsuits. What he told me was basically if you correct a child's foot deformity as a kid, when they reach adolescence, it is possible that what you did could cause other biomechanical and physiological problems for them as they grow, and when they turn 18 they could turn around and sew you. At least from a surgical standpoint it can be a real liability. In terms of biomechanical (i.e. orthotics) and vascular issues I am sure that it is no big deal. I am also interested in doing some podopediatric work, so I guess I'll have to see what the scope of practice is when I get to pod school! On a side note, there have been some successes. Kristi Yamaguchi had a club foot as a kid. I heard a podiatrist helped her with it (using orthotics, etc.) and it helped her get into skating. So you never know!

Members don't see this ad :)
all residencies are PM&S 24 or 36, meaning podiatric medicine and surgery 24 or 36 months.

There are certain requirements that must be met, i.e. the number of kids that must be treated, as well as numbers for other surgeries and office visits...

There used to be podopediatric fellowships but I do not know of any that exist anymore.

Certain residency programs offer a chance to work with Ponseti in Iowa to learn clubfoot manipulations, but he is 92 years old and who knows how much longer he will be practicing.

More common fellowships are wound care, vascular, foot and ankle w/ orthopods, AO fellowships in all the countries that offer them.

I am new to podiatry and have a question regarding residency. After you complete the 2-4 years of residency (depending on which type you choose), are you given some sort of degree or anything? Do you get your DPM after you graduate from your respective school or is that after residency?

Also, my state only requires 1 year of residency or clinical training after podiatry school. does that mean that someone can go to residency for a year and then just quit beccause thats all the state requires? Just curious!

I am new to podiatry and have a question regarding residency. After you complete the 2-4 years of residency (depending on which type you choose), are you given some sort of degree or anything? Do you get your DPM after you graduate from your respective school or is that after residency?

Also, my state only requires 1 year of residency or clinical training after podiatry school. does that mean that someone can go to residency for a year and then just quit beccause thats all the state requires? Just curious!

The DPM degree is awarded after successful completion of Podiatry school. you cannot start a pod residency w/out a DPM.

Even if the state only requires 1 year of residency you still must complete at least 2 years since there are no longer 1 year residency programs. quiting after a year would not award you a certificate of completion of even 1 year. you must successfully complete the residency to get credit for it.

This last statement is not just for the OP but all prospective pod students...

I know podiatry is confusing since it is not general med school. Podiatry is not about getting to be a doctor with the least amount of work. please think about what you post and how it sounds before posting. It seems that many people are trying how to figure out the least amount of years necessary to get to practice podiatry or medicine. It is about getting the best and most training possible to be a competent podiatric physician.

I know podiatry is confusing since it is not general med school. Podiatry is not about getting to be a doctor with the least amount of work. please think about what you post and how it sounds before posting. It seems that many people are trying how to figure out the least amount of years necessary to get to practice podiatry or medicine. It is about getting the best and most training possible to be a competent podiatric physician.

Amen!

Thanks for the feedback. Before you get all offended and everything, I want you to know that I do not want skip out on extra training. I was simply asking a question so don't assume you know my desires. It seems like that is a very senstive issue with you by the way. Just don't correct me because you happened to take it the wrong way.

I am actually planning on going to school for as long as I can because I want to be the best podiatrist possible. My older brothers are also very specialized M.D.'s and I want to do the same if I can for podiatry. I am in for the long haul. Thanks for the info though.

one is neruosurgery and the other is pediatric cardiology. Of course I can't do either of those in podiatry but I want so specialize in podiatry if I can. I think it would be cool.

Wow, your parents will be in the nicest nursing home money can buy. :laugh:

Seriously, good luck and if you have any ?s PM me.

I know lucky them. Maybe I will move in with them. I have lots of questions so I am sure I will PM you. Thanks for your help.