Residencies???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneWish23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in my second semester of P1 year. First semester was stressful as hell, but I eventually adjusted. My grades were not all A's, but I'm satisfied with them. Problem is, this semester my grades are plummeting.. I study harder than ever, days in advance and all night when i have to. Although the content is getting heavier, I always feel prepared and confident moments before the exams - so I can't fathom this decline. I will continue to try my best, but I was wondering if I will loose my shot at residencies? I do not believe I will make top 20% of my class.

I hold officer positions in multiple organizations and was elected as my Class Secretary last year, and re-elected for the upcoming year as well. Will student involvement, on top of work experience help build my case or would residency programs solely look at grades?

I'd like to know what residency programs look for in applicants and what tips you guys have for me to be a competitive candidate?

Appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I'm in my second semester of P1 year. First semester was stressful as hell, but I eventually adjusted. My grades were not all A's, but I'm satisfied with them. Problem is, this semester my grades are plummeting.. I study harder than ever, days in advance and all night when i have to. Although the content is getting heavier, I always feel prepared and confident moments before the exams - so I can't fathom this decline. I will continue to try my best, but I was wondering if I will loose my shot at residencies? I do not believe I will make top 20% of my class.

I hold officer positions in multiple organizations and was elected as my Class Secretary last year, and re-elected for the upcoming year as well. Will student involvement, on top of work experience help build my case or would residency programs solely look at grades?

I'd like to know what residency programs look for in applicants and what tips you guys have for me to be a competitive candidate?

Appreciate the help.

I was part of the committee at my hospital and we mainly looked at your GPA when we looked at the 40 applications... and then, after selecting 2-3 final candidates, we compared interview performance. So to be honest, it may just help a little bit if we have time to read it...