quiksilver87

10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2007
Status
I need some clarification on what residency directors are able to see in terms of how well you did in osteopathic medical school. In other words, when applying to a residency, will the director be able to know your exact ranking? I dont know if different schools have different ranking systems, but I currently go to MSU COM.

ChandutheMagici

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I need some clarification on what residency directors are able to see in terms of how well you did in osteopathic medical school. In other words, when applying to a residency, will the director be able to know your exact ranking? I dont know if different schools have different ranking systems, but I currently go to MSU COM.
They "might" be able to see your grades (I'm unsure), but dude....MSUCOM doesn't have a ranking system. So, where you stand within the class as far as grades wise (first 2 years) is ultimately irrelevant.

DrWBD

Formerly 'wanna_be_do'
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
May 2, 1999
Long Island, NY USA
Status
Attending Physician
While many schools don't officially provide official class rank to the students, they school may -and usually does- have that information available.
Many times your Dean's Letter will mention, at least roughly, your class rank ("upper 1/3rd, middle 1/3rd, lower 1/3rd, etc).

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
At our school the dean's letter tells them what quartile you are in, unless you are in the bottom quartile. But, it also has your grades as well as a graffic showing how your grades compare to the rest of your classmates' grades. Ours shows grades for the first three years and your quartile after three years. I've heard that some places only show your first two years of grades and you are ranked based on that.

Jamers

Sexy Man
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
North Carolina
Status
Attending Physician
At our school the dean's letter tells them what quartile you are in, unless you are in the bottom quartile. But, it also has your grades as well as a graffic showing how your grades compare to the rest of your classmates' grades. Ours shows grades for the first three years and your quartile after three years. I've heard that some places only show your first two years of grades and you are ranked based on that.
Yeah DMU only ranks by the first two years which kinda sucks since I apparently did really well third year. Oh well.