Residency and medical school performance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quiksilver87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some clarification on what residency directors are able to see in terms of how well you did in osteopathic medical school. In other words, when applying to a residency, will the director be able to know your exact ranking? I dont know if different schools have different ranking systems, but I currently go to MSU COM.

Members don't see this ad.

I need some clarification on what residency directors are able to see in terms of how well you did in osteopathic medical school. In other words, when applying to a residency, will the director be able to know your exact ranking? I dont know if different schools have different ranking systems, but I currently go to MSU COM.

They "might" be able to see your grades (I'm unsure), but dude....MSUCOM doesn't have a ranking system. So, where you stand within the class as far as grades wise (first 2 years) is ultimately irrelevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
While many schools don't officially provide official class rank to the students, they school may -and usually does- have that information available.
Many times your Dean's Letter will mention, at least roughly, your class rank ("upper 1/3rd, middle 1/3rd, lower 1/3rd, etc).

At our school the dean's letter tells them what quartile you are in, unless you are in the bottom quartile. But, it also has your grades as well as a graffic showing how your grades compare to the rest of your classmates' grades. Ours shows grades for the first three years and your quartile after three years. I've heard that some places only show your first two years of grades and you are ranked based on that.

At our school the dean's letter tells them what quartile you are in, unless you are in the bottom quartile. But, it also has your grades as well as a graffic showing how your grades compare to the rest of your classmates' grades. Ours shows grades for the first three years and your quartile after three years. I've heard that some places only show your first two years of grades and you are ranked based on that.

Yeah DMU only ranks by the first two years which kinda sucks since I apparently did really well third year. Oh well.