Residency and MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcham

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering taking a year off of med school to get an MPH and I was wondering if residency programs will see my grades for that year when I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious too. I've got a really bad case of senioritis right now, and am taking an immensely frustrating environmental health class. Will it hurt me later on to just coast to the end of the semester?

I'm wondering too, I'm in an MD-MPH program and 2nd semester MPH grades are not looking so hot.
I've heard only some ask but the common application does not ask for graduate grades, but would like a authoritative answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my MPH before med school. I don't think any program saw my MPH grades but let me go through this systematically...

Most of the info comes from ERAS, and looking over my ERAS application I see:
- no grades are listed in the ERAS Common Application Form, but it does list grad school
- no grades are listed in the ERAS CV, but it does list grad school
- there are 4 types of documents that are uploaded - LORs, personal statements, USMLE scores, and COMLEX scores, and none of these inherently mention grades. I suppose its possible they could be mentioned in your PS or a LOR, but I think this would be highly unlikely unless a letter writer was just blown away by your (positive) academic achievement.

The other major source of information is the "deans letter," now called the MSPE. Mine did mention my MPH (but not grades) in the biography section or whatever, and the only grades listed were from my preclinical grades and clerkship grades (per how my school does it, but every school may do it differently), but like I said, I did my MPH before med school. I think to get the definitive answer you'd need to speak with whoever at your school handles your residency application paperwork to see if any MPH grades go into your MSPE. Regardless, I can't imagine it being an issue unless your grades are just really bad (like, C's, D's, or F's) and you are trying to play up your MPH.

Now, if you want the definitive answer about slacking and residency, check back with me around mid-June to see if my residency refused to honor my match based on seeing my transcript from my MPH and my (grad school) senior slide. ;)

I did my MPH before med school. I don't think any program saw my MPH grades but let me go through this systematically...

Most of the info comes from ERAS, and looking over my ERAS application I see:
- no grades are listed in the ERAS Common Application Form, but it does list grad school
- no grades are listed in the ERAS CV, but it does list grad school
- there are 4 types of documents that are uploaded - LORs, personal statements, USMLE scores, and COMLEX scores, and none of these inherently mention grades. I suppose its possible they could be mentioned in your PS or a LOR, but I think this would be highly unlikely unless a letter writer was just blown away by your (positive) academic achievement.

The other major source of information is the "deans letter," now called the MSPE. Mine did mention my MPH (but not grades) in the biography section or whatever, and the only grades listed were from my preclinical grades and clerkship grades (per how my school does it, but every school may do it differently), but like I said, I did my MPH before med school. I think to get the definitive answer you'd need to speak with whoever at your school handles your residency application paperwork to see if any MPH grades go into your MSPE. Regardless, I can't imagine it being an issue unless your grades are just really bad (like, C's, D's, or F's) and you are trying to play up your MPH.

Now, if you want the definitive answer about slacking and residency, check back with me around mid-June to see if my residency refused to honor my match based on seeing my transcript from my MPH and my (grad school) senior slide. ;)

Thanks, this sounds what I imagined.

My grades are not too bad, I may get a couple Bs in classes where almost everyone gets an A, but I don't think this will mean anything important.