residency director score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoyohomieg5432

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing a few people recently talking about a residency director score. What is this? I'm assuming it's how the directors view students that come from that school, or is that wrong? Is it a good idea to factor this into deciding a school?

Also, if anyone has a copy of this could they please send me a copy? ;-)

Members don't see this ad.

I've been hearing a few people recently talking about a residency director score. What is this? I'm assuming it's how the directors view students that come from that school, or is that wrong? Is it a good idea to factor this into deciding a school?

Also, if anyone has a copy of this could they please send me a copy? ;-)
Search: NRMP residency directors survey.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's based on a USNWR survey sent to directors. IIRC the response rates are way too low to be considered scientific whatsoever, but that's hardly a surprise. It's not like there are any secrets in the list, generally speaking it lines up with the overall school rankings. Just another fuzzy metric people can use to make the subjective seem measurable.

Reactions: 1 user
i thought the residency director score was school specific? like i've seen a pdf with residency scores for a lot of schools. i don't see anything like that in this document.

This is what you're looking for. The "prestige" ranking is just the residency director scores averaged with peer scores from USNWR. Someone posted this chart on SDN earlier.

rzPYDl9.gif

@pyrrion89 I just looked at your MD apps. A few things:

-congrats on the kick-ass cycle :=|:-):
-I really like your opening thoughts/remarks
-your school descriptions are fantastic (and now I wish I had applied to UCSF :laugh:).
-:hijacked:

Reactions: 2 users
can anyone explain what the residency director score is? just how they view people coming from that school?

can anyone explain what the residency director score is? just how they view people coming from that school?
There is no "residency director score." There are surveys (see NRMP) and opinions, but residency directors in each specialty have an experience of applicants from various schools that influences their receptivity to subsequent applicants. This is neither universal nor particularly predictable.

There is no "residency director score." There are surveys (see NRMP) and opinions, but residency directors in each specialty have an experience of applicants from various schools that influences their receptivity to subsequent applicants. This is neither universal nor particularly predictable.

How likely do you think it is that the survey used for the "residency director score" on US News is more influenced by the previous year's USNWR rankings than the actual performance of students from that school?

Last edited:
It's based on a USNWR survey sent to directors. IIRC the response rates are way too low to be considered scientific whatsoever, but that's hardly a surprise. It's not like there are any secrets in the list, generally speaking it lines up with the overall school rankings. Just another fuzzy metric people can use to make the subjective seem measurable.

Even ignoring the response rate, the notion of US News reporting a general "residency director" score is flimsy. Different residencies can have different priorities about what they want, and that may not agree with what other directors want, etc. I wouldn't make any important decisions on the back of such ratings. If you want to know what residencies think, ask around at a few places you're interested in.

Reactions: 1 users