residency essay questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, that is not the point at all. The car was a metaphor. This has nothing to do with actual cars.

The point is that you are not even close to the point where it would be reasonable to think you would be a successful candidate for the match, and yet you're busy writing a ERAS personal statement and studying for Step I as a 50 year old.

Yikes.

I was almost a successful candidate during the 2008 scramble. I know several doctors in my area who have taken 10 yrs off. And gone back. Mainly because of debt🙁


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I was almost a successful candidate during the 2008 scramble. I know several doctors in my area who have taken 10 yrs off. And gone back. Mainly because of debt🙁


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just want to give you a heads up that you cannot obtain a residency position without having graduated medical school. It just isn't possible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am not trying to do that. I am diligently studying and learning new proteins that PHd's have discovered in the last ten years. I am doing CME's, putting certificates in a binder with answer sheets to show that i am continually learning. Coursework is saved in the form of transcripts. MY transcripts show I have a neuroscience degree from a top undergrad institution well before other undergraduate institutions added these tracts. MY record shows I have never deviated from science, always in epidemiology, sata collection, fieldwork of some sorts. except now that my parents are elderly, I am having to reassess my path 'in the midst of this career debacle'.

I am currently playing phone tag with Ross admin. It seems to be the advice of many on here that one shoudl seek to reaffiliate with the last school that one was with. Why is this? Is it because these are the last people a student has worked with and would thus know you best? For me, it has been nothing short of a nightmare to have done undergrad out of state, not being able to transfer back hoem to be near my parents in mid life, and trying to get back near them after all I have been through.
Like I said in the other thread...medical school coursework is not saved somewhere like in a bank account. You can't just go withdraw your 12 year old course credits and cash them in for a degree now.

No medical school is going to just take you on and slap a degree on you.

What has the Ross administration told you? This is the most recent school you were enrolled in, correct? If anyone can help you, it's them.
 
I have the insight enough to know I have not been well enough whilst watching my parents decline to do a next rotation. I have been depressed and it is situational depression. My counselor and the law is aware that my family are treating me badly; nearly every doctor I go to says 'when are you leaving them'. My sister thinks i am Dr jeckyll; she says I am trying to ruin my families lives. Which is just the opposite; I have let them live off my student loans for 10 plus years. I am unwell in the sense that blame and shame and stuff I am incorpoarting which I shouldnt be, because my parents let my siblings get away with mistreatment. Despite my reporting to counselor that my family is crazymaking, he thinks I am pretty resilient and doing Ok. I have insight. Thanks for your concern. I even asked professional psychiatrists if 'I was the worst family situation they had ever seen' and they said No. so I have some hope. It is taking a lot of energy to get myself into a better environment though.
Please don't put word I didn't say in my mouth.

To say "get well first" implies you are unwell. I make no such implication.

I wanted you to check with yourself and professionals first to see if you are well.

That is the first step for everything.

All people who are well know that they are well. People who are unwell may or may not have the insight.

Again, I am NOT in a position to determine whether you are well or unwell, just go take care of yourself before you can take care of others.
 
Please don't put word I didn't say in my mouth.

To say "get well first" implies you are unwell. I make no such implication.

I wanted you to check with yourself and professionals first to see if you are well.

That is the first step for everything.

All people who are well know that they are well. People who are unwell may or may not have the insight.

Again, I am NOT in a position to determine whether you are well or unwell, just go take care of yourself before you can take care of others.

I understand. You are suggesting I present myself 'well'. I appreciate your sentiments.
I apologize about the Narc comment. I am a product of two of them. I am just sensitive. No offense intended.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I understand. You are suggesting I present myself 'well'. I appreciate your sentiments.
I apologize about the Narc comment. I am a product of two of them. I am just sensitive. No offense intended.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L

I am definitely not suggesting that glu are presenting myself well either. I cannot and will not make such a determination on an internet forum.
 

I know staff in many places like me and know my path has been hard. For me, I have deep fear 'that the same situation might happen again' academically. When it was never an academic issue; it was entrapment and 'is she ethical?'
Socialization.

Right now I have immediate family with Cluster issues. People have gone so far as to think 'my family is in cahoots against me'. If I have money, even student loan money coming in. Everything is fine. If I don't, my family make the worst decisions ever. I think my brother and sister know they can't live off me, so they recently arranged staying with family friends in other states.

I fear publicity. I don't want to be on a magazine cover (or Bond girl🙂 lol). In fact, I just want to go incognito everywhere I go.

I fear judgement. I had a dream when I was a child. In that dream I died and went to heaven. At the pearly gates of heaven were all my tennis coaches; I had to perform to get inside to safety. Lol

Is this performance anxiety? Or something more deep about fear of judgement?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I am confused, so forgive me. How do you have student loans coming in? Are you currently in s degree program unrelated to medicine? Have you, as a middle aged person ever worked at a job for pay, and wouldn't your loans be due?
 
I am confused, so forgive me. How do you have student loans coming in? Are you currently in s degree program unrelated to medicine? Have you, as a middle aged person ever worked at a job for pay, and wouldn't your loans be due?

I do not have student loans coming in. That's the problem. Whilst I did, I paid my sisters rent (after she filed bankruptcy). I funneled $ to my brother (he has an MBA/mph - but works making aromatherapy products, and in tea houses - underemployed - fear of success?) I am living off my father and mothers social security right now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I am confused, so forgive me. How do you have student loans coming in? Are you currently in s degree program unrelated to medicine? Have you, as a middle aged person ever worked at a job for pay, and wouldn't your loans be due?

I have an MPH in international epidemiology.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am not trying to do that. I am diligently studying and learning new proteins that PHd's have discovered in the last ten years. I am doing CME's, putting certificates in a binder with answer sheets to show that i am continually learning. Coursework is saved in the form of transcripts. MY transcripts show I have a neuroscience degree from a top undergrad institution well before other undergraduate institutions added these tracts. MY record shows I have never deviated from science, always in epidemiology, sata collection, fieldwork of some sorts. except now that my parents are elderly, I am having to reassess my path 'in the midst of this career debacle'.

And here's one of your major problems. Literally none of that matters. You don't suddenly get credit for any of that towards medical school graduation. As @SouthernSurgeon said, you clearly have no idea how former medical coursework is viewed. It's not some sort of bank account you get to withdraw from years later. Your basic science/preclinical coursework is from the early 1990s when Bill Clinton was a newly elected president. No amount of "self learning" or homework will make up for that.

Furthermore, the health of your parents has nothing to do with whether a medical school or residency program will or will not accept you. Please do not suggest that you were anywhere near close to successfully accomplishing this but that your parents' current health is going to be the thing holding you back.

You have made awful choice after awful choice after awful choice for the past two decades. Sure, it sounds like there's been some unfortunate circumstances that have occurred. But you have unequivocally demonstrated that in the face of challenges, you simply cannot be trusted to make good, productive decisions.

This entire discussion is rather pointless, but I was at least hoping somebody would be able to help save you the final few decades of your life that you have left. You could have pursued innumerable other science careers after your unsuccessful medical school attempts, but instead you've doubled down on that failure and dug yourself deeper and deeper and deeper.

I truly do wish you good health and peace, but that is not likely to come until you realize how absolutely futile your current efforts actually are. There are so many other ways you could be spending your time and efforts, but your rigid adherence to the "sunk cost" fallacy has prevented you from living your life for nearly half of your time on earth.

Good luck.
 
I am not trying to do that. I am diligently studying and learning new proteins that PHd's have discovered in the last ten years. I am doing CME's, putting certificates in a binder with answer sheets to show that i am continually learning. Coursework is saved in the form of transcripts. MY transcripts show I have a neuroscience degree from a top undergrad institution well before other undergraduate institutions added these tracts. MY record shows I have never deviated from science, always in epidemiology, sata collection, fieldwork of some sorts. except now that my parents are elderly, I am having to reassess my path 'in the midst of this career debacle'

You also say you have an MPH. All of these are fine, but you're missing one crucial degree: MD.

You cannot apply for ERAS in September if you are not enrolled in a medical school because you have not yet obtained your MD. Period. You should not be asking for help with your application until you find some way to finish your MD degree. Having "almost" finished it isn't enough!
 
And this is the reason everyone is trying to help you: No one wants to see you waste whatever years you have left on something that is absolutely futile. Life isn't about just becoming a doctor, there's many aspects to life. It is sad to see that you are spending your time, money, and energy towards this rather than more fruitful endeavors. Sometimes, it is okay to give up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.