Residency Fairs: Networking Strategies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCA2390

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a medical student- what is the best way to go about the residency fairs at ACEP and SAEM? Any tips? How to stand out (in a good way) and how NOT to stand out (in a bad way)? Network? Can this help me to get away rotations when I apply for 4th year?

Appropriate vs inappropriate questions to ask?

Did anyone attend one of these and think it made a meaningful difference in the application process?

MS3 considering attending the ACEP Boston fair on the 25th - Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Made a difference in my application process, but not a meaningful one. I got ~3/25 of my interview offers by visiting booths at ACEP last year, but I didn't match at any of those programs. Got some late offers for ultrasound electives at SAEM in April of MS3, but by April most of the choice electives tend to be filled anyway.

If you're really interested in interviewing at certain programs, look up their special features and try to fit your narrative to those. Remember the names of people you talked to; follow-up emails are at least as important as the initial conversations. Don't be that guy who corners a PD for 10 minutes with irrelevant questions. It's a hard line to walk between appearing boring and appearing weird when you only get to spend a minute or two with someone.

If this was the only reason I wanted to go to ACEP, knowing what I know now I'd save my money. The Match is just so random if you aren't a rockstar already...

Reactions: 1 user
Come meet and get to know us (faculty, residents, etc.) at various shops and start getting an idea of what kind of places seem like a good fit! It's hard to get to know various programs unless you go through it, rotate, or already work with them. Chatting with people personally and seeing how each program portrays itself year-after-year at various events, etc. will give you a better sense of what we're each about. You'll get out (as with all things) what you put in. (But don't put in your CV or business card. I assure you no one is going to peruse a paper copy of a med student's CV on the flight home and if you're applying for a rotation/residency interview, we already have it. Your human face is much more meaningful than you on paper.)

We meet tons of students at these events. Unless you're deeply bizarre or offensive, we won't remember you negatively. You may be remembered positively if you have a genuinely interesting conversation with someone about something you're truly enthusiastic about (just like the rest of life). Ask questions about things that matter to you and create an opportunity to either continue the discussion later. I know that as pre-meds and medical students, we're not often taught anything about how to professionally network. Here are some example phrases:
- "I don't want to keep you from all of these other students, but I'd love to discuss ___ further. Can I grab your email address?" (or set up a time to chat later)
- "___ does seem like an appealing program. I really want to train somewhere where (unique thing you actually care about) . I'll definitely send an application your way next year. May I grab your card, as well?"
- "I've actually never lived on the ___ coast, but ___ sounds like great place and I'd love to rotate with you! How do you choose your rotators and how do I apply?"
- Follow up with a simple email citing something specific/memorable about your conversation IF you are genuinely interested in a continued conversation. No one wants to keep talking to you about something you're pretending to care about.

I don't think there are many questions that would be considered truly inappropriate, because we know you're looking for a place to work really hard and want you to be happy as you do it. This means different things to different people. Unlike an interview, you'll be more likely forgiven for asking questions about things that are on our websites. Just try to be professional:
- "I've heard the cost-of-living in ___ is pretty bad/good . What's it like living as a resident there?"
- "I hear that the ancillary services in ___ are not as pro-active as I'm used to coming from ___. What's your experience been like?"
- "I'm pretty sure I want to work in the community after I finish residency. What kind of positions have your recent graduates gone into?"
- "A lot of my family is in ___, but your program sounds great. Do most of your grads stay in the area? Have many had success finding work in ___?"
- "I've always been really involved in the LGBTQ community and don't know much about ___. Do you know what it's like there?"

Hope this is somewhat helpful and look forward to meeting you! Just have fun meeting people who are working in a profession you think you want to work in, too. Then go grab a beverage or do something else when it stops being fun.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a medical student- what is the best way to go about the residency fairs at ACEP and SAEM? Any tips? How to stand out (in a good way) and how NOT to stand out (in a bad way)? Network? Can this help me to get away rotations when I apply for 4th year?

Appropriate vs inappropriate questions to ask?

Did anyone attend one of these and think it made a meaningful difference in the application process?

MS3 considering attending the ACEP Boston fair on the 25th - Thanks!

I attended a residency fair as an M3 and just used it as a chance to check out programs (I was in the area and it was free). I think it was helpful to get an idea of residency personalities a bit as well as ask about away rotations and some other things. This year I went to a local one and met the PD and his residents and asked questions and 2 days later had an interview. Not sure how much showing interest at the fair helped but it didn't hurt.

So if you're in the area and it's free and easy go. Not worth money most likely.

Reactions: 1 users
All of this feedback is much appreciated and will be put to good use in a few short days in Boston! Thanks!

I went to a few as a chief resident/junior faculty. The only people we remembered were the truly bizarre or pathologically enthusiastic.

I'd use them to ask a few program/location specific questions, but don't expect going to them to improve your chances