Residency Hours Question.. Unusual Circumstance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ribbondino

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have had this question on my mind for awhile...
I have a weird form of epilepsy that causes me to have seizures if I stay up too long. I am afraid that this will keep me from doing a residency... Help?

Members don't see this ad.

I would encourage you to speak to your neurologist about this issue. He/she is probably in a better position to give you advice about whether or not you would be able to tolerate a med student's or resident's call schedule and whether there are ways to optimize your AED regimen.

I'm no expert on the subject, but I would imagine that residency programs would be reluctant to make accommodations for you, considering that many programs are already strapped for manpower with the new duty hour regulations.

Hi! I have had this question on my mind for awhile...
I have a weird form of epilepsy that causes me to have seizures if I stay up too long. I am afraid that this will keep me from doing a residency... Help?

Do meds or dietary changes help? Unless you want to do pathology or medical genetics, it is unavoidable you will be sleep deprived during residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's absolutely nothing you can do about it? No medication in the world can help? Because I think that would be a serious issue, you may have to chose a residency that will not be as demanding and I'm not sure those exist. I think you should seriously talk to your doctor before you apply to medical school.

I would encourage you to speak to your neurologist about this issue. He/she is probably in a better position to give you advice about whether or not you would be able to tolerate a med student's or resident's call schedule and whether there are ways to optimize your AED regimen.

I'm no expert on the subject, but I would imagine that residency programs would be reluctant to make accommodations for you, considering that many programs are already strapped for manpower with the new duty hour regulations.

There's absolutely nothing you can do about it? No medication in the world can help? Because I think that would be a serious issue, you may have to chose a residency that will not be as demanding and I'm not sure those exist. I think you should seriously talk to your doctor before you apply to medical school.

OP, I'm assuming you're still a premed? I'd worry if the rigors of med school would pose a problem before I worry about residency if I were you...