residency in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pernambucano

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone
all dear members I just wanted to ask u abt the chance we have to get a medical residency in Australia to international student who has already passed the AMC exams and got the PR in Australia

thx all

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have seen. Not bad at all. In the Monash Health Network, where I did my medschool and internship- there a few genmed registrars who were AMC exam qualified and from abroad. I would say it's possible. You need to get a health network to hire you. It may mean starting somewhere like Hobart for example or country NSW/Queensland for a higher probability- but it is always possible for physicians training.

...except, if you have an internship-level training requirement remaining to get your full registration, you will not get it. This will depend on the country where you did internship and whether you've done all the core terms (ED, Medicine, Surgery).

Members don't see this ad :)
K guyz lemmy tell u that I ve got my md school and the internship from ME ( ksa & Egypt) and I ve read earlier that its not an obligatory to have a job in Australia after getting the AMC certificate so what chances do I hav in ur opinion and the whole idea is it risky.

From what I have seen. Not bad at all. In the Monash Health Network, where I did my medschool and internship- there a few genmed registrars who were AMC exam qualified and from abroad. I would say it's possible. You need to get a health network to hire you. It may mean starting somewhere like Hobart for example or country NSW/Queensland for a higher probability- but it is always possible for physicians training.

hi
i had a similar equiry regarding this .... is it easier to get a residency in Aussie than in US im an IMG from India but i am an US citizen and im not sure which to pick and how to compare and which one would be a better choice
please help
thank you

Australian employment all has to do with residency. As an IMG- you most likely will find things getting harder with time (there are fewer and fewer places). Your best chances for success would be a peripheral/country hospital to start with. Then get Aussie residency and you are more or less free to move anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Australian employment all has to do with residency. As an IMG- you most likely will find things getting harder with time (there are fewer and fewer places). Your best chances for success would be a peripheral/country hospital to start with. Then get Aussie residency and you are more or less free to move anywhere.

In general, yes, being an Australian citizen or permanent resident will make getting employed as a junior physician/trainee infinitely easier.

Getting into specialty training (vocational training) is a different issue. While holding citizenship will level the playing field, you will have to go the extra mile to get one of the few training spots (depending on your specialty of interest). I refer you to the following (extremely comprehensive) training report released last year by the Australian government.

Source: https://www.health.gov.au/internet/...Medical Training Review Panel 16th Report.pdf

I highly recommend looking carefully at the figures and pathways available in Australia outlined in this report. It will give you a better sense of training there and it will allow you to make a fully informed decision regarding your chances of getting into a specialty college. One of my favourite pieces of data in this report can be found starting on page 80 of the pdf. This outlines the pass rate for each college's examinations. (note: "vocational training" is the term used in Australia and is analogous to "residency" in the states; "pre-vocational training" refers to general training that all medical graduates of an Australian or New Zealand medical school must complete prior to applying to a specialty. One year is the minimum for all specialties, as this is needed to gain AHPRA registration. From there, each specialty will dictate what they prefer in terms of ongoing pre-vocational training prior to your application. For instance, Radiology requires a minimum of 2 years pre-vocational training. Pathology, Psychiatry, and GP require only 1. An interesting point and contrast needs to be recognized here: the more pre-vocational training you have in Australia prior to your application to a specialty, the better your application looks. In the US, this is not a strength, rather, it will hinder your chances)

Conversely, I refer you to the following NRMP report regarding United States specialty training. This document, which is more well known and highly utilized by Match applicants, outlines training positions by state, institutions, and identifies the probability of successfully matching based on various factors like Step 1 score, contiguous ranks, and publication numbers. Again, this will allow you to make a fully informed decision about training.

Source: http://b83c73bcf0e7ca356c80-e8560f4...tent/uploads/2013/08/chartingoutcomes2011.pdf

I apologize if part of my post detracts from the original topic of discussion here.

Reactions: 2 users
No worries, fantastic isn't it?

Hopefully, Australia will be able to provide this type of information in the (semi) near future. Furthermore, it is looking hopeful since some universities are embracing and utilizing the International Foundations of Medicine (IFOM) Exam, a test that is very similar to the USMLE Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK). Unfortunately, the exam is not held under standardized test conditions yet, nor is it, to my knowledge, being used in any summative capacity. The exam is administered by the same authority as the USMLE series (The National Board of Medical Examiners, or NBME).

http://www.nbme.org/ifom/

The Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) has also commenced piloting a standardized exam called the AMAC (Australian Medical Assessment Collaboration). My understanding is that data is still being pooled and its utility in medical education assessment is still being evaluated. ACER is the same authority that administers the GAMSAT (the MCAT of Australia).

http://www.acer.edu.au/amac

For now, I would refer to the aforementioned Australian Medical Review Training Panel Report for any data concerning training in Australia.

https://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/38D69486D82F4A59CA257BF0001ACD8E/$File/Medical Training Review Panel 16th Report.pdf

Reactions: 1 user