Residency interview

Started by othkate
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

othkate

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
Did anyone receive any invitation from the program you're applying to? I will have my first phone interview tomorrow. Good luck everyone.

Kate
 
Hi,
Did anyone receive any invitation from the program you're applying to? I will have my first phone interview tomorrow. Good luck everyone.

Kate

I have my first interview next week. All of mine I have to travel out to the actual site.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great.
 
I have my first interview next week. All of mine I have to travel out to the actual site.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great.

I think I'm interviewing you... be afraid... very afraid... :meanie:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have to travel to some of my sites too. where are you planning to? mine are in texas.
 
Good luck to all of you who are interviewing! I am glad to be done with interviewing our candidates (we are a fellowship program and do not go through Match, in fact our goal is to do offers before Match registration, so people who are considering have an easier time - and so we don't loose them)... it's such a pain when you have a candidate on site, you cannot get anything done (not to mention getting time on everyone's calendar is a headache). Now I just hope our top choice candidate accepts our offer and spares us further work. 🙂
 
oh.. i am so nervous because i have only received 1 phone interview so far. all the programs i applied to mentioned that they will start contacting prospective applicant for interview this week and i still have not hear anything from any program yet. gosh.. so scare now.... does anyone know how long it usually take the program to call or email us for interview ... cuz i heard most of them suppose to finish this week is that true? i am applying to the VA in california and TX.
 
Most of my application deadlines were the 1st or 2nd week of Jan. I have heard back from all the programs already that I applied to. The last 3 were this past weekend.
 
We have already called all of our candidates to schedule interviews. If they didn't get a call, they'll get a letter in the mail saying we're sorry, but they didn't make the cut.

We had close to 40 applicants, and we are interviewing a little more than half of those for 5 spots. There were so many good applicants on paper, and I'm excited to meet the candidates in person. The interview will be a big part of the decision process, because everyone we are interviewing seems to be on level playing field as far as CV, recommendation letters, and their letters of interest.
 
I have interviews at 4/5 programs I applied to. The last one sent me an e-mail at the end of last week saying that my application was complete. I'm not sure if they've already started interviewing yet. I'm happy with my other 4 though.
 
We have already called all of our candidates to schedule interviews. If they didn't get a call, they'll get a letter in the mail saying we're sorry, but they didn't make the cut.

We had close to 40 applicants, and we are interviewing a little more than half of those for 5 spots. There were so many good applicants on paper, and I'm excited to meet the candidates in person. The interview will be a big part of the decision process, because everyone we are interviewing seems to be on level playing field as far as CV, recommendation letters, and their letters of interest.


So why did the other 20 people did not make it to the interview invite? Was it their grades, lack of extracurriculars, lack of experience? I'm just curious...
 
All of the information in their application materials are taken into account. Things like grades, extra curriculars, presentations, work experience, quality of their letter of interest, letters of recommendation, and other things are all ranked on a scale that our director developed. The total score is added up and the ones with the highest scores get interviews.
 
All of the information in their application materials are taken into account. Things like grades, extra curriculars, presentations, work experience, quality of their letter of interest, letters of recommendation, and other things are all ranked on a scale that our director developed. The total score is added up and the ones with the highest scores get interviews.

oh k
 
All of the information in their application materials are taken into account. Things like grades, extra curriculars, presentations, work experience, quality of their letter of interest, letters of recommendation, and other things are all ranked on a scale that our director developed. The total score is added up and the ones with the highest scores get interviews.



i didnt include ALL my extracurriculars because a lot were not relevant to pharmacy. is that a bad idea? i.e. if i did rugby club and intramurals i didn't put that on my CV.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My mentor said to put everything that was extracuricular so that it looks like your well rounded and busy with other things other than studying. Especially put it down if you lack leadership.
 
My mentor said to put everything that was extracuricular so that it looks like your well rounded and busy with other things other than studying. Especially put it down if you lack leadership.

I have heard the same thing. Even if you did something non-pharmacy related, you still should put it on your CV just to show that you can handle several things at the same time.
 
If you have a lot of extracurriculars, I would put the ones you can talk about as teaching you specific skills. Such as, I volunteered for a school district and got teaching experience out of it. I volunteered for Red Cross and got communication skills out of it. I did bellydancing - and while it did boost my self-confidence, because once you perform on stage when you feel you don't know what the heck you are doing, nothing is scary afterwards - but I did not put that on my list. 🙂

So, speaking of intramurals - if all you did was participate, I wouldn't put it on CV, it just clogs it and makes it harder for the reader to focus on relevant information (I swear you start hating people with six page CVs when they are still in school, and you have to go through them time and time again to find that one line you want to know. Besides they all blur together very quickly). However, if you organized a tournament for several intramural teams, and found an organization to sponsor it - that's something that definitely belongs on a CV.