-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
residency interviews
Started by pharmasaur
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
can anyone provide tips on what to study for typical clinical questions asked during residency interviews? i already have some stuff in mind based on recommendations from upperclassmen but i wanna make sure i dont miss anything, thanks![]()
Anything anti-coagulation or infectious disease are hot topics in hospitals. If you are going to study anything I'd focus on those topics.
When I interview PGY-1 candidates I am primarily looking to see how they structure their answer and any insight they provide into their thought process. If the candidate is obviously making something up because they don't know that is a huge red flag because not knowing what you don't know is what gets residents in trouble. I'd much rather hear something like "I'm not sure how to treat necrotizing fasciitis but I'd first review the IDSA skin and soft tissue infection guidelines if that question came up in practice".
anything is game for us - but ya - the ID component is the most likely. I like to randomly mix it up just to see what the candidate may know. Usually I am just looking for thought process vs in depth knowledge.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not to threadjack, but I received an invite and instructions were to prepare for a patient workup.
I sure hope it is ID or some mainstream disease state I've seen while on hospital rotations, because oncology/RA/(anything with Mo-ABs) are not my forte. Does anyone have experience with anything like this, more specifically formatting/time? I know all programs are going to be different, but I guess I just wanted to hear about someone else's experience.
I sure hope it is ID or some mainstream disease state I've seen while on hospital rotations, because oncology/RA/(anything with Mo-ABs) are not my forte. Does anyone have experience with anything like this, more specifically formatting/time? I know all programs are going to be different, but I guess I just wanted to hear about someone else's experience.
I recently had a residency interview at a large academic teaching institution and the patient cases we needed to provide recommendations for were very straight forward. We completed the cases prior to our interview sessions allowing the interviewers to address our plan and rationale. IMO if you received an interview, they already know that you are competent enough to get the position. Which is why I think the cases weren't super complicated. They more than likely just want to know if you will fit there! I would say focus more on preparing for your behavior based questions and being yourself! Good luck and stay positive!
IMO if you received an interview, they already know that you are competent enough to get the position. Which is why I think the cases weren't super complicated. They more than likely just want to know if you will fit there! I would say focus more on preparing for your behavior based questions and being yourself! Good luck and stay positive!
This is very wrong - trust me, everyone we interview is NOT competent for the position - different institutions do a better job of determining this than others.
Anything anti-coagulation or infectious disease are hot topics in hospitals. If you are going to study anything I'd focus on those topics.
When I interview PGY-1 candidates I am primarily looking to see how they structure their answer and any insight they provide into their thought process. If the candidate is obviously making something up because they don't know that is a huge red flag because not knowing what you don't know is what gets residents in trouble. I'd much rather hear something like "I'm not sure how to treat necrotizing fasciitis but I'd first review the IDSA skin and soft tissue infection guidelines if that question came up in practice".
Great pointer! Thank you!
I have a question regarding experience. I have only retail experience as a pharmacy intern. What if they ask me why I never got a hospital job?
The honest answer is that I couldn't really get one. Curious if anyone else is having this problem and what to say on interviews to spin it.
Thanks!
The honest answer is that I couldn't really get one. Curious if anyone else is having this problem and what to say on interviews to spin it.
Thanks!
Just be honest. Its really difficult to find a intern position in a institutionI have a question regarding experience. I have only retail experience as a pharmacy intern. What if they ask me why I never got a hospital job?
The honest answer is that I couldn't really get one. Curious if anyone else is having this problem and what to say on interviews to spin it.
Thanks!
Just to contribute to this thread - I received ID and stroke treatment-related questions on previous interviews as well as situational "rank these in order of urgency" types.
Hard to prepare for those so I ended up telling my interviewers that I would look it up first because I was rusty on that particular topic.
Hard to prepare for those so I ended up telling my interviewers that I would look it up first because I was rusty on that particular topic.
Just to contribute to this thread - I received ID and stroke treatment-related questions on previous interviews as well as situational "rank these in order of urgency" types.
Hard to prepare for those so I ended up telling my interviewers that I would look it up first because I was rusty on that particular topic.
Just don't tell them to put a stent in it. Haha, I had a friend tell me that and I had to clarify their brain fart. Of course they realized, duh!
The 3hours vs. up to 4.5 hours criteria for TPA is tricky to remember though. So I agree with what everyone else has said about how the wrong answer is much worse than the idk answer.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 4K