Residency Matches (Other Side)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shirochan88

The Canadian
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is to get your opinon on Residency Matching Results

I as we as many other people look at the websites on SGU, SABA, AUC, Ross etc... to see where people go for Residency, and often for example when I look at SGU or Ross I count how many get Residency and always less then 150 names

I was under then impression that Ross had accumulative class of 400 people, same with SGU

I also know some people drop out and fail, and transfer

so my question or comment is how many do end up graduating and don't get a residency position it appears that its almost 50/50

This is just by assuming 100 people drop out out of 400 (which is a lot) is this realistic?

if approx 50% of a class ever gets a residency match it doesn't look good for us who want to be doctors.

I am hoping what I"m saying is Wrong (please someone let me know if what I"m saying seem true or what not)

I dont' want to be discouraged

Members don't see this ad.

I as we as many other people look at the websites on SGU, SABA, AUC, Ross etc... to see where people go for Residency, and often for example when I look at SGU or Ross I count how many get Residency and always less then 150 names

I was under then impression that Ross had accumulative class of 400 people, same with SGU

so my question or comment is how many do end up graduating and don't get a residency position it appears that its almost 50/50

This is just by assuming 100 people drop out out of 400 (which is a lot) is this realistic?

if approx 50% of a class ever gets a residency match it doesn't look good for us who want to be doctors.

I am hoping what I"m saying is Wrong (please someone let me know if what I"m saying seem true or what not)

Well here's this year's match list for SGU.

Way more than 100 on here. Also apparently somewhere around 33% of the class at SGU pre-matches so some of those students will not be reported since they must self-report to the school in order for SGU to know where they matched (the % came from an SGU doc in the US who does interviewing for the school). Also, click on "Forward to 2009" in the upper right-hand corner to see where these residents will be next year and that'll tell you who matched into transitional years when you compare them with the 2008 page. I believe the match proportion is roughly the same for Ross when you compare it to the size of their graduating class.

If you are a capable student then you will get a residency coming from virtually anywhere but especially the Big 4. Assuming you are a capable candidate, the problem that usually crops up is when the students over-reach and don't rank a/any "safety" programs and end up not matching. There are unmatched FP slots every year that will be occupied by capable candidates if they're ranked.

We are a small, total 15 residents, we take 5 per year, we are have dual accreditation, DO/MD. Give us a look www.fammed.wisc.edu, we're part of the UW-Health Network (University Of Wisconsin)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know many of the schools do not automatically list the residency match unless the student sends in confirmation. So many matches are not listed.

The original post is a good one.
Would think that a lot more than 50% of the graduating students at somewhere like SGU and Ross get a residency. It would be interesting to know what % of people drop out, transfer, etc. It would be interesting to know what % graduate but never match anywhere...it's probably small at those 2 schools, but I'm sure there are some. If they wanted you to know, they would give you a 2-year match rate (i.e. how many folks got a spot somewhere if they applied up to 2 years in a row) the way some colleges will publish a 2-year acceptance rate to med school (i.e. what % of their undergrads get in to med school after trying 1-2 times). I doubt you'll get a straight answer from any of these schools...it doesn't pay for them to let you know...

is that list considered to be a list of good matches?

Last edited:
no, I wouldn't consider some of those matches on the sgu list "good" or tough to get. The list is of everyone who filled out a form after matching into a residency and sent it into the school. Or actually the school might buy the official match list from ERAS and look for their students on there.

no, I wouldn't consider some of those matches on the sgu list "good" or tough to get.

QFT.

I don't mean to bash on SGU, actually it's looking like my best option right now, this year's list is definitely not something to write home about. It's actually pretty disappointing for me, but what are you gonna' do...

Example: Look at the internal and FM (Most common for SGU grads) residencies in CA. Any Californians looking over the list should recognize the names that predominate.

Modesto
Stockton
Bakersfield
Moreno Valley
Fontana
Oakland
Fresno.

Que 'stomach sinking'

These cities represent some of the most desolate, methed-out, crime-ridden communities Ca has to offer.

No, I'm not being overly critical/harsh/elitist. I've had to spend time in a few of these places. I wouldn't wish living in them on anyone.

I realize that many, if not most grads don't want to wind up in California. Regardless, this sample is likely indicative of the difficulty of landing a good residency, especially in a "desirable" region.

When I first read RJ's comments on how DO was a better route these days I was a tad bit incredulous, but looking over the lists for the Big 4 (3), I'm unfortunately starting to see his point.

:(

Agreed, but keep in mind that getting a plum residency spot in California, boston, Chicago or New York isn't easy even for US graduates. Well, it might be fairly easy in family practice or internal medicine, but still not a cakewalk. There just aren't that many residency spots at UC San Francisco, U of Chicago, Northwestern, etc. vs. the number of total medical students. Just b/c you are an A and B student in college doesn't mean you're going to be top of the class in med school...any medical school...so do medicine out of love and don't assume you are guaranteed to be able to get a particular competitive specialty or to definitely be able to do residency wherever you want.

Well of course. We're not talking about near-plum, or half-plum.
These places are bottom-of-the barrel...

I'm starting to wonder if the reason is that all other Ca matches are so hard to get (kinda hard to believe, there's a range between UCSF/UCLA and meth capital 'Shaker's-field'.) or if these facilities are just more familiar with SGU'ers that did their rotations there...

The only reason I bring this up is that the Ca matches for SGU and even AUC have been quite reputable in the past, 2007 had quite a few FM's and a couple IM at County USC (Granted, not the best locale, but a great place to associate yourself with). That doesn't seem to be the case this year. This is a bit disheartening because one of the 'pros' for the Big 3/4 was Cali approval. What's the point if you just wind up in B***-F*** nowhere? I realize you're not chained to your residency spot for life, but it's still 3-4 years of your life...

Of particular interest to me was the IM and FM posts at a reasonably cushy hospital in my neighborhood in L.A that consistently went to a Carib. grad until this year. No mas. :(

what does qft mean?

also good hospitals, (education wise) aren't always found in the best neighborhoods, so just because a hospital is in the crime capital of the country or whatever, it doesn't mean it's a bad place to do your residency. you don't have to live close to the hospital.
Also cali is so tough because it's not friendly to IMG's, only a few hospitals will even look at an IMGs application. Finally having cali approval isn't all about doing your residency in cali. If your school is not cali approved you can never get licensed to practice in cali, I for one don't want to do a residency in cali but would love to move out there once i am all done and find a private practice to work in, if I went to a school without cali approval i wouldn't be able to.

RussianJoo is right,
Ultimately getting license in California is not dependent on doing residency there, though that would likely make it easier to network while looking for jobs there. California doesn't accept/approve certain medical schools, such as some of the Caribbean ones, so that will prohibit some IMG's and FMG's from ever being able to get a license and practice there.

I'll bet that part of the reason for California residencies not liking to take IMG's (if in fact they don't) is that it's so f&$%#$ing hard to get a license there. I'm a US grad from a well known US school with no "bad stuff" on my license application (i.e. never repeated a class, got in trouble for anything, etc.), have done an entire medicine residency and already have a license in another state, and I've been waiting >>2 months to get my California license. For the IMG's, they have to fill out extra paperwork and prove that they did certain clinical clerkships in medical school, etc. I'll bet it's just too much of a pain in the a-- for the program directors of residencies to want to deal with. From their point of view, it would suck big time to accept a resident into your program and then find out they can't get a license or it's taking a year to get one or something.

quoted for truth.

Ahhh. Alright, I was under the impression that completing a residency in Ca was a requirement for getting a license, as well as Ca school-approval...
And I suppose that is a good point about decent hospitals being in sometimes not-so-decent neighborhoods.

Is there a particular reason the Ca medical board drags its feet the way it does when it comes to licensing? Is there a surplus/over-supply of MD's in the state?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with part of what you are saying amakhosidlo,

However, I think residency in those places may be just fine. Sure, you can't really go out at night and do fun stuff, but who is doing that in residency anyways? Heh.

My point of view is that the people who ended up there, chose to go there b/c they put them on their list for match. If you absolutely do not want to be in a certain city or state, dont even put it as an option.

To me, the biggest indicator of residency success is # of graduates who got their top choices (one two or three) and how many did not match at all. SGU seems to be getting better every year in that respect. They are getting rads, derms and other highly competitive matches so I am feeling optimistic about that.

Each person on that list may have a reason for going to that place, and even more, how could you know what the quality of the program is without looking into each one on your own? Saying you do your residency in New York means nothing. For all I know it could be in Bed-Stuy or at Columbia... just saying.

amak
I think it is what you said - they have plenty of doctors and have no reason to make it easy to get a license there. Looking at it from their point of view, why should they make it easy at all and risk ANY bad actor getting a license there? Nobody is entitled to a medical license...getting one is a privilege based on whether a particular state thinks you are qualified and able...and they can set the bar as high as they want.

Also, it's just a really big state and they get a lot of applications for medical licenses because a lot of people (including doctors) want to live there. If you try for a license in some state like Arkansas, Mississippi or Tennessee that has not so many people and needs doctors, you'll probably have a lot easier time getting one.

And the real problem arises when those underserved states decide to adopt the "California List", and not license a doctor who can not obtain a license in California (thereby cutting their investigative leg-work down). Within the last few months, Alaska, Mass. and Arkansas took on this rule.(though it could be another state in that area, Im 95% sure its Arkansas)

Wow. That is interesting. I am surprised about Alaska and Arkansas...
Perhaps those states have had problems with shady physicians trying to move there, and they may be tightening up their standards in general. The problem for states that have more lax licensing rules is that they may attract a disproportionate number of "problem" docs who had some sort of trouble in another state and then just bailed to go to another state, either because they lost their licenses or were afraid they would.

And the real problem arises when those underserved states decide to adopt the "California List", and not license a doctor who can not obtain a license in California (thereby cutting their investigative leg-work down). Within the last few months, Alaska, Mass. and Arkansas took on this rule.(though it could be another state in that area, Im 95% sure its Arkansas)

I personally think the cali list is a good idea. I don't think everyone who simply wants to be a doctor and is willing to pay a lot of money for it should be a doctor. And many schools not approved by cali allow for just that. I remember getting letters from carib schools when i just took my mcat and they were pretty much saying congrats you've been accepted, and i didn't even apply to their school. I really think that a lot of people who are getting their MD from those schools don't deserve it and I personally wouldn't trust them as physicians.

That is the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard from a substandard student who failed miserably at gaining acceptance to US med schools.

You do realize that people from LCME schools say the same thing about you, right?

The irony is so delicious, it tickles me pink.

I personally think the cali list is a good idea. I don't think everyone who simply wants to be a doctor and is willing to pay a lot of money for it should be a doctor. And many schools not approved by cali allow for just that. I remember getting letters from carib schools when i just took my mcat and they were pretty much saying congrats you've been accepted, and i didn't even apply to their school. I really think that a lot of people who are getting their MD from those schools don't deserve it and I personally wouldn't trust them as physicians.

That is the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard from a substandard student who failed miserably at gaining acceptance to US med schools.

You do realize that people from LCME schools say the same thing about you, right?

The irony is so delicious, it tickles me pink.

I know, and they're probably correct. if my friends or family need any medical assistance I am going to direct them to someone who's much better than me and who went to a US school. I know first hand what goes on at these schools. But I am not a ***** who's going to drop out just because I don't think I should be a doctor, because it's obvious a lot of people do think I should be a doctor or I wouldn't have passed step1 on first attempt, and wouldn't be getting A's on my clinical rotations. It's simply their opinion vs. my opinion.

It's like that Dave chappelle's skit on the black white supremacist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDDyvu3goU

So your response is to make a joke? (and I'm not talking about the Chappelle video)

How are people supposed to take anything you say seriously?

I know, and they're probably correct. if my friends or family need any medical assistance I am going to direct them to someone who's much better than me and who went to a US school. I know first hand what goes on at these schools. But I am not a ***** who's going to drop out just because I don't think I should be a doctor, because it's obvious a lot of people do think I should be a doctor or I wouldn't have passed step1 on first attempt, and wouldn't be getting A's on my clinical rotations. It's simply their opinion vs. my opinion.

It's like that Dave chappelle's skit on the black white supremacist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDDyvu3goU

I personally think the cali list is a good idea. I don't think everyone who simply wants to be a doctor and is willing to pay a lot of money for it should be a doctor. And many schools not approved by cali allow for just that. I remember getting letters from carib schools when i just took my mcat and they were pretty much saying congrats you've been accepted, and i didn't even apply to their school. I really think that a lot of people who are getting their MD from those schools don't deserve it and I personally wouldn't trust them as physicians.[/quote]

Yup, thats a totally mindless statement you made.

Not only does the california list generalize all graduates from a particular school (like you just did), but it says that someone is perfectly well qualified to practice medicine anywhere else in these United States... just not in Cali, Alaska, Mass, and Ark.

Then you follow it up with saying that you aren't qualified to be a physician either, but you're past a point of no return. Well, save us all and dont practice.

Yeesh

So your response is to make a joke? (and I'm not talking about the Chappelle video)

How are people supposed to take anything you say seriously?

I am not making a joke i am just making a statement, based on how I have seen my fellow classmates act on the weekends and off campus. And I can only assume that's what goes on at other schools that are less picky in who they accept.

I am not trying to prove anything to anyone or force my ideas on anyone. I am just saying this is what I personally believe.

I am not making a joke i am just making a statement, based on how I have seen my fellow classmates act on the weekends and off campus. And I can only assume that's what goes on at other schools that are less picky in who they accept.

I am not trying to prove anything to anyone or force my ideas on anyone. I am just saying this is what I personally believe.

I've got a feeling that its the same everywhere. Its just that some are better at keeping their grades up than others are.

Not having completely screwed up your first chance is what gets you into the more picky Carribean schools.

Not screwing up your second chance will get you out of any of them

I've got a feeling that its the same everywhere. Its just that some are better at keeping their grades up than others are.

Not having completely screwed up your first chance is what gets you into the more picky Carribean schools.

Not screwing up your second chance will get you out of any of them

I am not even comparing one carib school vs. another. I go to the best carib school and I wouldn't trust most of my classmates as doctors. This is NOT how US medical students act. I have many friends at multiple US medical schools and I ask them about their social events and their reply is "what social events?"
and they always complain about how dry and serious everyone is all the time. At SGU there are school sponsored parties every week if not multiple times a week and beer is at every school sponsored event. I personally don't care if my doctor can beat me at beer pong or dodge ball. Sure those events are fun but this is med school it shouldn't be fun.

And please don't take this the wrong way and think that i am saying i am better than those people, because I am not, all I am saying is that there's a reason we didn't get into US medical school or Canadian medical school if you're from Canada, that's because there's a pretty good chance we really shouldn't be doctors. now sure people grow up and mature and we shouldn't judge someone by how they were when they were younger, but we're all human and we do judge.

That is an interesting point of view. I can see how one could believe such a thing.

I would argue that being social and loving to let loose have very little to do with professionalism and medical knowledge. Anyone can learn facts and most people can diagnose, perform surgery or read radiographs and ECGs. That is only one part of being a physician.

The ability to relate to your patients and peers is arguably more important than cold, hard medical knowledge. Your perception of your physician is just as important as their skills (as long a bare minimum of competence is met).

It is absolutely true that some people at our schools are probably not meant to be caring physicians, but it hardly hinges on their love of partying and drinking. It is much more nefarious and under-the-surface.

You seem to have a pathological inferiority complex, but those are your demons and from your perspective. They hardly reflect reality for the majority of the people in medicine.

I am not even comparing one carib school vs. another. I go to the best carib school and I wouldn't trust most of my classmates as doctors. This is NOT how US medical students act. I have many friends at multiple US medical schools and I ask them about their social events and their reply is "what social events?"
and they always complain about how dry and serious everyone is all the time. At SGU there are school sponsored parties every week if not multiple times a week and beer is at every school sponsored event. I personally don't care if my doctor can beat me at beer pong or dodge ball. Sure those events are fun but this is med school it shouldn't be fun.

And please don't take this the wrong way and think that i am saying i am better than those people, because I am not, all I am saying is that there's a reason we didn't get into US medical school or Canadian medical school if you're from Canada, that's because there's a pretty good chance we really shouldn't be doctors. now sure people grow up and mature and we shouldn't judge someone by how they were when they were younger, but we're all human and we do judge.

Nah, let him off the hook on that one. I can understand the frustration. Maybe those folks will grow up. Maybe they'll be among the huge Carribean population who never makes it to medical practice. Who knows. But, there are a few students who dont party like crazy, maybe those are the ones that will do will and rock the boards.

I don't need your guys premission to have my view points... I am not bitter that these people will be doctors, I just won't see them as a patient and won't have my loved ones see them as a patient.

I have partied my fare share that's why I ended up in a carib school to begin with.
But I feel there's a time to grow up and the way some people acted on the island is just disgusting, even for me. If they get wasted and show up to class hung over now then they'll probably show up to work hung over when they're physicians.. Binge drinking is a form of alcoholism and I personally wouldn't want my physician to be hung over when he's making treatment judgments on me, but I am also talking about drug use, on a weekly bases, mostly cocaine and pot where the drugs available on my island and fellow classmates were not shy about taking advantage of the close proximity to Columbia or other carib islands to use and abuse them, this wasn't the great majority of the students but I would say about 5% of the student body maybe more. Sure going out is great and needed to survive the intensity of medical school. but drinking to the point of blacking out or passing out on the beach or vomiting all over yourself is just not right, neither is drug use. People do get kicked out of school for disciplinary things, like drug use or fighting, it has happened at SGU multiple times and will continue to happen. I wonder how often it happens at a US school? probably half as often as at carib schools if not even less frequent.

but hey we're way off the original topic of this thread so I am going to stop talking about this, i think you guys get my point.

Russianjoo...hmm the cocaine use is troubling. Hopefully the school's disciplinary system works. Some med students at US schools drink too much also in the preclinical years. I agree with you it is probably less prevalent, but you'd be surprised probably what some US students do as well. In my experience a lot of it seemed to be maturity issues, in the sense that people straightened up pretty fast once they got to 3rd year.

In any case a person who is a substance abuser is going to get him/herself into major problems as far as licensing, etc. and some hospitals have even started drug testing all employees, often including medical students. If they are not, then it (preemployment or pre-rotation drug testing, etc.) is probably coming.

Alcoholism is actually surprisingly common in the US population, and docs are not immune. Pretty much every state medical licensing board has to discipline and/or send for treatment a fair number of docs who have this problem.

I hope your former classmates aren't going into anesthesiology ( =high risk of addiction).

Actually Tulane med students seem to party a LOT but it's still a good school.

ok that's another school i'll add to my list then. thanks for letting me know.

It makes me happy to know that you are my competition for residency spots.

Looks like I have nothing to worry about from the average SGU grad.

the other Carribean students warned me about those elitest SGU students.

Seriously?

Yes.

Its not a "universal truth" among Carribean students, but once you go through some clinical rotations, you're bound to have heard that assessment from somone or another.

I rarely even go to these forums anymore, mostly due to the fact that when I am not in the hospital I am out in the city, drinking, partying, hanging out with friends, etc. etc. And guess what, most of my colleagues ( U.S. grads, and FMGs from > 12 foreign countries) are right there with me.

I work with Doctors who have done cocaine in their past, some who still puff on a joint now and then ( though ask them to their face and they'll deny it), more who have one too many drinks now and again, and hey guess what, they come from all over, Boston, Dominica, Illinois, Grenada, Israel, portugal, Indiana etc.

It is both amazing and unbelievable to me that you think that life happens only to folks who went to the caribbean. People are people with their flaws and insecurities and all the rest of it irrespective of where they went to med. school, and I think once you start dealing with patients in the capacity of being their Doctor you'll be surprised at how much Cocaine the well dressed Wall streeter with his Wharton MBA can pack away ( please don't tell my wife, Doc...true story). Who knew right? I thought it was just the down and out crackheads, cause *insert favorite stereotype* here . Why would Doctors be any different?

I went to Ross, and I partied quite a bit, and still ended up in a highly desirable residency amongst many american grads, and the only way I can tell they are american grads is if I ask them. Enough with the latent self-hatred.

Oh and btw....for those of you reading this :rolleyes: please for the love of jesus, allah, buddha or whathaveyou please please please make med. school as fun as you can and live a little...because then theres residency, and then theres fellowship, and then you're 36, and then theres family, and mortgage payments, and illness, and losing parents, and the unexpected, and illness, and then death. And so if you don't live a little now, then when?

I lost an immediate family member in med. school and still had time to party and do well on my steps, and I look back on it fondly. You are going to be very sorry if all you do in med. school to the exclusion of all else is study.With that said work hard when you have to and nail your steps. Take it from someone whos been there done that. Peace.

Bulletproof,

Well said. I had a feeling this was exactly the case. People who are real people, have real issues and just because they go to Harvard doesn't make them less prone to letting loose. Although I will say that where you find lots of rich kids, you usually find a larger amount of partying and drugs. SGU perhaps has more kids from the US with lots of money to pay for that school - I could be wrong. But I think that is where the discrepancy lies.

Proportionally there may be more kids at SGU drinking and partying compared to the US schools. On the end though, you are right - doctors as a whole are not free from the realities of life - neither are other professionals. I don't think anyone will care if you go out and drink 3 nights a week with co-workers as long as your doing your job well. Maybe I would worry about a coke head but thats another issue but hell, doctors should do their job and also be able to live their lives.

PS dead on about med school. Everyone I know is the opposite and I don't plan on losing my young good years to the dream - I can still have it while enjoying it.

Every time I read this thread, it just bothers me more and more...

Russianjoo said about Carib Docs, "I am not bitter that these people will be doctors, I just won't see them as a patient and won't have my loved ones see them as a patient".

Since he is from the Carib, what I'd like to know is how, after saying this, he can morally and ethically justify himself treating patients.

Last edited:
"We got one of them self-hatin' SGUs here..."

How much do clinical grades matter for Caribbean students when it comes to residency applications?

Since different schools have different policies with how the clinical grades are calculated, and different institutions have different policies on how they evaluate Caribbean students.....

I would like to know where you're getting "no more than 150" from. I've just counted more than 150 placed in FM residency alone at Ross (2008 appointments)? http://www.rossu.edu/medical-school/files/2008ResidencyList.pdf

Hello -

Thanks for these posts--really interesting!

I am curious if there are list available for residency matches at Saba and AUC?

Thanks for the help!

Hello -

Thanks for these posts--really interesting!

I am curious if there are list available for residency matches at Saba and AUC?

Thanks for the help!

They are on their websites

I'm an AUC grad.
Many of these other posters are only college students. They are posting about carib medschool without any personal basis.
Graduate, complete the licensing exams and you will get a program.
Many offshore students aren't even in the match.
I wasn't. Didn't go to a single interview. Landed well.
In fact I kept getting calls from Baylor and North Carolina for about 2 weeks after the scramble to get me to change my mind.
That's the power of excellent USMLE 1 score.
Match % is meaningless, because you don't have to go through the match.
If you're gonna scramble, be in the US.

You are 100% right, but please remind them how well you scored on your steps.

I'm a caribbean student (go crabs) and I am just as sure that passing the steps and landing interviews will get you a spot, but unfortunately, getting to the step is more difficult for some more than others.

I'm an AUC grad.
Many of these other posters are only college students. They are posting about carib medschool without any personal basis.
Graduate, complete the licensing exams and you will get a program.
Many offshore students aren't even in the match.
I wasn't. Didn't go to a single interview. Landed well.
In fact I kept getting calls from Baylor and North Carolina for about 2 weeks after the scramble to get me to change my mind.
That's the power of excellent USMLE 1 score.
Match % is meaningless, because you don't have to go through the match.
If you're gonna scramble, be in the US.

Don't go caribbean and then just study the notes so you can pass a test.
You have to immerse yourself in the subjects.
eg Anatomy. Probably 2 questions on the USMLE. But it was 10 credits at AUC.
Every Saturday I was in the lab dissecting, finding structures on several cadavers. One day before the practical students would show up to lab and ask to see stuff. They had spent the minimum 6 hours in lab a week.
I got a 100% in Anat. Many of them failed. I think most of my class failed their first anatomy class. Unfortunately for them I got a 98% on the exam and the curve was 2 points. hahaha. And a 100% on the lab practical and the curve was 0%.
The point is I went above and beyond throughout med school. Still went to the beach 5 times a week, drank some beers.
Then I reviewed. I was in london, also fun, and I reviewed seriously.
250 step1 (99th% was 238) 234 step2 219 step3.
I stopped studying after step1. For USMLE that is.
I give credit to AUC. But would have done as well with a Ross or George education.

Good luck to all. Go for it.

The two digit score is not a percentile...

Last edited:
The two digit score is not a percentile...

Finally somebody with some sense.

Yes, the 2 digit score is not a percentile, it is a club. It is assigned by a sliding scale, not unlike insulin.

Theres the 99 Club... anyone who scored 240 (+/-) and above. Thats a 60 point spread.

The 94 Club scales to a score of 230. This is one Standard Deviation above the mean of American med students.

The 90 Club scales to a score of 220. This is the Mean score for American med students.

The 75 Club scales to a score of 185. Just passing. This is the point where the sliding scale is locked.

Note that if this were a percentile, You would have to be in the top 25% of the population just to pass, and 75% of students would have failed the exam. This doesnt make sense.

Also note that the scale has a bit of variation +/- a few points. The three-digit score depends on your performance as an individual. As I understand it...... for example, if you are in the 94 club but your score was a bit less than 230, that means that your cohort of test takers didnt do as well as usual. Conversely, if you are in the 94 Club, but your score is a bit more than 230, more students did well in that testing cohort.

So, the Mean score for US students is about a 220, which scales to about a 90. In a normal distribution, the mean and median are the same - meaning that a score of 90 is at the 50th Percentile. Yep. A 90 is at about the 50th Percentile.

Don't feel like so much of a hot-shot now, do you Bucko?

Carry on.

Last edited:
I don't think that he was referring to his two digit score when he gave the 99th percentile.

I don't think that he was referring to his two digit score when he gave the 99th percentile.

I think he was. Because..

1. You can't know your percentile unless you know how to do the calculation based on the information they give you next to your score.

2. a score of 238 is will likely give you a 99, but it is probably not in the 99th Percentile.