Residency pathway in Australia for an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srd12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a medical graduate and an IMG. I have gone through the pathway for residency.

I have few doubts.

1.)
After qualifying AMC MCQ and AMC Clinical Exam, how can we apply for the posts? They are equivalent to internship if I am not wrong.
Any website by which we have to apply? Or do we have to mail our CV and qualifying certificate to individual colleges?
Interviews?

2.) After completing this one year, what is the next step?
What is the procedure to get into residency?
I wish to get into dermatology.

Can someone please solve these doubts?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1.)
After qualifying AMC MCQ and AMC Clinical Exam, how can we apply for the posts? They are equivalent to internship if I am not wrong.
Any website by which we have to apply? Or do we have to mail our CV and qualifying certificate to individual colleges?
Interviews?
Email/phone/visit hospitals, and ask if they will consider seeing your CV.
Colleges are separate to hospitals. You have to apply for both.
Each have different deadlines.
Every state and college is different too.
My suggestion - pick a starting place, then go one a time. A day at a time.
Google a few hospitals in a location you're interested in and look up job vacancies on their website. Then phone or email.

Sometimes hospitals advertise jobs on recruitment websites, usually rural ones (Google).
Sometimes you can join a locum or medical recruitment agency, based on these forums however, it sounds like the agencies prefer Australian grads with full general registration or UK grads. Not so much IMGs on provisional registration for example.

There's no one to hand you a list of job vacancies.
Australian doesn't work that way unfortunately. As with any real world job, you have to do your own research.

Alternatively, if you choose to wait until next year (next June), you can apply for jobs via the state match system. But you may still again have to research every individual hospital you apply to, depending on the state you're looking at. IMGs generally match last - it's part of the Australian priority system.

2.) After completing this one year, what is the next step?
What is the procedure to get into residency?
I wish to get into dermatology.
Good luck getting into dermatology..
It is one of the most competitive specialties out there. even domestic Australians struggle to get into dermatology. A competitive field will require a lot of research, some even do research degrees (masters or PhDs) after med school just to get into these fields.

Residency applies to house/resident medical officers.
It's modelled on the old UK system. There is no equivalent in the US/Canada/number of other countries. You work a set of rotations until you build up enough points on the CV to get into a vocational program that will let you finish your training and become an attending.

Vocational training in Australia is done through "registrar training pathway" via a royal college. Have a look at AMA's becoming a doctor flow chart for a better break down of what training is like in Australia.
Becoming a Doctor.

Even some domestic Australian students will have trouble understanding how it all works in Australia, that is until they start their clinical years in med school.

Some spend years in house officer years ("residency" in Australia terms) before they get into vocational training like dermatology. It's unusual for people to be in PGY5-6 before they finally get in, and spend another 4 years to finish.

It's a long process in years.

Refer to the college of dermatology website:
For Medical Graduates - ACD.

As with a number of colleges, dermatology requires PR as part of their selection criteria.

Reactions: 1 users
Alternatively, if you choose to wait until next year (next June), you can apply for jobs via the state match system. But you may still again have to research every individual hospital you apply to, depending on the state you're looking at. IMGs generally match last - it's part of the Australian priority system.

(1) Would you please elaborate the last line? What do you mean by "match last"?

(2) Does it mean they can only apply for "leftover" places that no locals wants to take even after the selection process is complete?

(3) Is this like the RLMT (in the UK)?

As with a number of colleges, dermatology requires PR as part of their selection criteria.

Could you please make me a list of specialties that DO NOT require PR as an eligibility criteria. (I actually was gonna ask for the ones who do, but then I thought that the opposite would be a shorter list I guess?) I know that this might be tedious but I honestly have no clue where to find such eligibility information for each and every distinct specialty. I will be really grateful to you. Or, you can also guide to a relevant website if you know of any.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Jay