Residency probability for old IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

do US IMG status help a little

• yes

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • no

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • may be

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters

Dranonymous814

Reaction score
I graduated in 2013, step 1 in 220s, Ck 230s. CS done, doing step 3 now, planning to finish by April. US IMG. have few rotations. Do i stand any chance in Match 2020 IM residency, really worried, any input is much appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't base your decision to apply on the answers you get on an anonymous poll. Do you have a chance? Yes, there is always a chance. What is your individual probability of getting a spot? Very hard to say.

My advice is, try to do well on Step 3, apply as widely as you can afford to (I suggest >200 programs) and see what happens. Consider throwing some applications at a less competitive specialty also (maybe FM). Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't base your decision to apply on the answers you get on an anonymous poll. Do you have a chance? Yes, there is always a chance. What is your individual probability of getting a spot? Very hard to say.

My advice is, try to do well on Step 3, apply as widely as you can afford to (I suggest >200 programs) and see what happens. Consider throwing some applications at a less competitive specialty also (maybe FM). Good luck.

Thank you, yes that is the plan. Whatever it takes, Going to do it

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated in 2013, step 1 in 220s, Ck 230s. CS done, doing step 3 now, planning to finish by April. US IMG. have few rotations. Do i stand any chance in Match 2020 IM residency, really worried, any input is much appreciated. Thanks

What have you been doing since graduation (7 years by the time of the match)?

Reactions: 1 users
Your YOG will far outweigh (negatively) any minor benefit you'll have from not needing a visa.

Reactions: 1 user
Go big or go home.. 150IM, 100 FM and almost all pathology programs except the Ivy league

IMG 2015, need VISA
Not very impressive school scores (I had a few medical issues that affected my performance)
Step 1 = 216 Step 2 CK = 245 Step 2 CS = Pass Step 3 = 230
2 Papers, one first author
2 observerships of 2 months each
2 month rotation in research
Research fellow in my country > 1 year
Family medicine professor of senior year medical students > 2 years.
Currently working in my country in a hospital.

This year I did not match in to IM. I am wondering if IM/Peds or Peds might be a good idea due to my scores.
Also if gaining 3 months of USCE might boost my application.
Does anyone know if the companies that offer placement at externships are a good option?

IMG 2015, need VISA
Not very impressive school scores (I had a few medical issues that affected my performance)
Step 1 = 216 Step 2 CK = 245 Step 2 CS = Pass Step 3 = 230
2 Papers, one first author
2 observerships of 2 months each
2 month rotation in research
Research fellow in my country > 1 year
Family medicine professor of senior year medical students > 2 years.
Currently working in my country in a hospital.

This year I did not match in to IM. I am wondering if IM/Peds or Peds might be a good idea due to my scores.
Also if gaining 3 months of USCE might boost my application.
Does anyone know if the companies that offer placement at externships are a good option?
IM/Peds is more competitive than IM itself.

If you want to practice in the US, you should definitely apply to Pathology, FM, or Peds

IM/Peds is more competitive than IM itself.

If you want to practice in the US, you should definitely apply to Pathology, FM, or Peds

What do you guys think about this companies that offer USCE? I have been looking for hospitals that officially offer it but I have´t found any.

What do you guys think about this companies that offer USCE? I have been looking for hospitals that officially offer it but I have´t found any.
They're really fantastic. Assuming you own the company.

Otherwise it's just another way to separate desperate people from their money.

Reactions: 3 users
But do this letters really work ? Because I have seen that there is no options outside of this companies ...

They're really fantastic. Assuming you own the company.

Otherwise it's just another way to separate desperate people from their money.

Journey to future- this was the title of my personal statement upon submission to ERAS. I am an IMG, yog:2010, finished Medical residency training in my home country on 2015 and practiced as an internist until 2017 when I chose to immigrate to the USA. The past 2 years I’ve been in the US, i became a mother. I focused on taking care of my child while finishing all the steps of USMLE. I tried working but salary couldn’t really afford all the expenses at home especially the child-care. Even if I was ECFMG certified and finished until step 3, no one will give me a decent salary here, (especially in CA) unless I have another certification for coding, billing, MA, or connections. I got too many rejections, I couldn’t count anymore. I know many of you will understand that it was really hard to feel like a burden—no job at age 30+ and still living in my relative’s roof (my husband’s immigration papers are still on process). It was even harder to look for USCE, with no connections here in US Medical field, I was at a lost. I really couldn’t afford thousands of dollars to pay for an experience. All i could afford was a thousand worth of 2-week observership in a different state. I contacted several people (some from previous Medical school who successfully matched here) but nobody could offer definite help and some did not even bother to reply to my messages (seen zone). Going to different states I guess would have been a better option for better opportunities but having a 1- year old kid by my side, really not a good idea. Only mothers would understand. I submitted my application few days ahead of September 15, with all USMLE steps, 4 LORs (1 US, 3 home country), 2 week observership, 9 yog, 2 posters, 1 volunteer and 4 work experiences. I applied to 153 programs in total, all IM. I really couldn’t see myself in another specialty. By mid October, I only have 6 interview offers, 2 were prematch and the other 4 will be joining the match. Having these few invites and even if I have more, I really wouldn’t be able to afford all the expenses of travels, accomodations etc. I told myself, if I will be offered the position for prematch, I will gladly accept it. I know some will think twice, but with my credentials, I am not choosy anymore. All I want is to have a decent job and finish the training in a program who believes in my knowledge and skills. Today, the long wait is over. One program believed in me and offered the position right away after the interview. It was a tough and exhausting journey indeed, but truly fulfilling.

I am sharing this to inspire other old graduates with no enough US experience, has a big gap in CV and have kids. Everything is possible. Just ask God to show you the way and to give you strength to face everything.

232/248/pass/224 all first attempt.

Reactions: 5 users