Residency Programs closing or reducing # of residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Misterpodia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard from a DPM & professor that residency programs across the U.S are shutting down next year/reducing # of resident slots due to Covid and reduced applicants to pod schools?
Can any of you residents and/or practicing/teaching DPM's chime in?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I heard from a DPM & professor that residency programs across the U.S are shutting down next year/reducing # of resident slots due to Covid and reduced applicants to pod schools?
Can any of you residents and/or practicing/teaching DPM's chime in?
Thanks!
I rode out the 2009 recession through podiatry school (matriculated 2010) and was honestly a big reason why I bit the bullet and went to DPM school.

Hospitals who sponsor a residency program make easy money from residents via government stipends. Attendings also tend to bring cases to residency programs as residents make life much easier (usually) and this generates more cases for the hospital. In a time when they are cash strapped I dont see why they would release their easy money sources.

Of note I am back to 100% my surgical volume/encounters that I was at precovid. So hopefully the trend continues and resident training goes back to normal or near normal.

Above is all assumptions and personal experiences. I could be wrong but I wouldnt worry too much about it. The future is unpredictable and most likely you will end up fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
We accept too many people in schools. So they need to accept less and residency spots wont be an issue.

We accept too many people in schools. So they need to accept less and residency spots wont be an issue.

The number of matriculants and the number of residency spots isn't an issue, at least not for now or the last several years.
There are more CPME approved residency spots available in the last few years than grads, hence the closure of a few of them.
The issue, imo, is the limited number of jobs available for a new grad, esp if they have a preferred location.

The number of matriculants and the number of residency spots isn't an issue, at least not for now or the last several years.
There are more CPME approved residency spots available in the last few years than grads, hence the closure of a few of them.
The issue, imo, is the limited number of jobs available for a new grad, esp if they have a preferred location.
That’s more where I was trying to go, is the jobs at the end of training. Too many students means too many residents means too many podiatrists. I wish it was a profession we could “too many podiatrists” but the fact is a lot of family docs and ortho can do a lot of what we do. NPs and PTs are creeping in too with the wound care. So too many pods means that new grads are taken advantage of. The practice owners can take advantage of them. I’ve personally seen and read many contracts from friends that are horrendous. Nothing that a doctorate with residency training should be offered. But its offered and accepted.