Residency Question/Phase 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmersonly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in applying to a pharmacy residency. However, my fiance is matching medical and we do not know where she will match as she has multiple interviews. Her match date is the same as it is for pharmacy. I want to end up where she matches or at least nearby. From what I understand, my only option is waiting until phase 2 and applying to what is left in the area that she matches.

Does anyone have any insight on the phase 2 outlook? As in what are my chances of matching somewhere phase 2 once I know where to look? Also, should I reach out to the sites where she is interviewing and explain my situation?

Any other advice would be great. I have also considered waiting a year and applying then but would prefer not to.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

The match rate for the past two years in both phases was around 50%. Restricting yourself to phase II AND a specific area is a recipe for disaster. Sure, you *could* match, but residency in pharmacy is much harder to get than medical (you can get a really ****ty medical residency, but you'll still get one). IF you explain your situation, you'll be laughed out or screened out immediately. Programs want the best person who wants to be there because of the program, not because it's the one closest to to the candidate's SO's location.

All that being said, I empathize with you because I tried to stay in the northeast area when I applied because of my relationship during phase I, before expanding my search. Please understand that it's competitive as hell and restricting yourself does you no favors if a residency is really what you want.

have you looked into doing a couples match at all? I don't know if it works if one is med and one is pharmacy but it might be possible? Definitely recommend looking into that.

have you looked into doing a couples match at all? I don't know if it works if one is med and one is pharmacy but it might be possible? Definitely recommend looking into that.
They have that for medicine medicine but not med + Pharm :(