residency status question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkikkokka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I am one of the 2008 cycle applicants.
Although I am an international student
I have lived in Texas for six years now
so I am considered as a Texas resident.
but that is only for dental schools in Texas right?
I was wondering
if any of you guys know whether i would be considered as an international student when i apply out of state dental schools.
and what would be my chance of getting into out of state dental schools?
does residency matter for private school?

Members don't see this ad.

state of residency matter less for some private schools, but it is far from completely forgotten altogether.

However, I'm pretty sure you are still an international student. If you are here in the US on a student visa still, then you don't have citizenship in the US and although you've lived in Texas for 6 years, to have residency, I think you need to also be a citizen or have a green card. I'd double check by calling the schools themselves, but I think that is how it works.

I think that 6 years deal is for people who were originally residents of another state, not an international.

Schools may vary in their requirements, so check with them! Be smart about where you apply by doing your research. Below is an example of one school's policy.

UIC's website . . .

In order to be eligible for admission to the DDS program, candidates must hold United States citizenship, permanent residency or Asylee status. The College does not accept International Students or individuals whose presence in the United States is contingent upon the temporary status of their spouse.