D

deleted647690

Just met with my uncle who is from another state, and he told me that I could list his address as my own on my med school applications even though I don't live with him. Would that work to get in state residency status for his state?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Just met with my uncle who is from another state, and he told me that I could list his address as my own on my med school applications even though I don't live with him. Would that work to get in state residency status for his state?
Maybe. Or it might be fraud.

About the Ads
Jun 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
When these schools ask you to send in documents proving your residency, will you be sending in your uncle's papers claiming you're his dependent? Sounds like the IRS will have something to say about that

Reactions: Goro

allantois

Conversation Starter
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2013
Status
Other Health Professions Student
You need to check the requirements for in-state residency classification by the particular state and what kinds of supporting documents they require. It would typically be driving license, vehicle/voter registration issued either to you or your parents if you reside with them.

Dral

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
Dermatomicroscope
Status
Attending Physician
Yah, as GynGyn pointed out. That's kinda fraud.

You're applying to schools to eventually practice in a career that is composed of those who are SUPPOSED to represent some of the most upstanding respected people in society.

Act like it and start playing the part now.

However, if you 'move' there now and do the required things to gain residency, you may be able to get cheaper tuition after a certain amount of time has elapsed.

MyNameWasUsed

5+ Year Member
May 20, 2014
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Even if it's possible, it's not worth having to worry if you'll get caught throughout med school. They can expel you for lying on your application I think.

goldy490

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 21, 2015
SE US
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Most state schools expect you to show up to the interview with Drivers License, Voter registration, and/or vehicle registration from the state that has to be > 1 year old to prove you're a resident. At least where I'm from (Florida) you also have to submit a residency affidavit with the secondary claiming you or your parent/guardian actually do reside in the state. Lying on one of those is a very serious legal offense.

About the Ads