Quantcast

Residency ?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OlderStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I am looking at the island schools ( probably SGU ) and I wanted to find out if anyone knows about the opportunity to become a plastic surgeon after graduation. Probably a Gen. Surgery residency followed by Plastics. Any info would be appreciated.

utorontograd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen IMGs match into surgery/plastic surgery residencies. If you have good grades, good step scores and good letters of recommendation coming out of any of the top 4 schools (Ross, SGU, AUC, Saba) you shouldn't have a problem.

OlderStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Were these PGY-1 positions or was this after Gen Surgery?

soshah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
check out the matchlist on www.sgu.edu....at the bottom of the page.....you will see that there are students who have placed into surgery

SLUser11

CRS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
check out the matchlist on www.sgu.edu....at the bottom of the page.....you will see that there are students who have placed into surgery

I looked at this and was surprised/impressed by the number of people in surgery....but then I noticed that they were all going to mostly the same places (Albany Medical Center, Maimonades come to mind), so I thought that SGU did a good job of telling their students about IMG-friendly/less competitive programs......but then I noticed that more people "matched" at Albany (I think 4-7) than there were categorical spots (4 according to FREIDA).

Can I assume that alot of these students that "placed into surgery" are in prelim positions? Is SGU specifically not differentiating between the two extremely different situations? I honestly don't know, and I'm not accusing SGU of that....I would like the SGU students to clear it up for me if they can.

I hope you're being honest in answering this person's question.......

Matching directly into plastics as an IMG is near impossible, but these posters will point out that 5 people did it last year according to the NRMP. I'm unsure where they're from geographically (bahamas, ireland, england, etc)......but the IMG match rate for a step 1 score of 241-249 is 33%, 251-259 is 50% in that situation.

Matching into plastics fellowship is extremely difficult for alot of general surgery residents, and the red flag of being an IMG probably wouldn't help.....but I'm just speculating......and using common sense.

As for General Surgery, 932 IMGs applied, 704 somehow took part in the match, and 40% matched. Once again, I don't know the breakdown, but it's not encouraging, even if you're from the Harvard of offshore med schools.....

SLUser11

CRS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen IMGs match into surgery/plastic surgery residencies. If you have good grades, good step scores and good letters of recommendation coming out of any of the top 4 schools (Ross, SGU, AUC, Saba) you shouldn't have a problem.

ok.:thumbup:

SLUser11

CRS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked at this and was surprised/impressed by the number of people in surgery....but then I noticed that they were all going to mostly the same places (Albany Medical Center, Maimonades come to mind), so I thought that SGU did a good job of telling their students about IMG-friendly/less competitive programs......but then I noticed that more people "matched" at Albany (I think 4-7) than there were categorical spots (4 according to FREIDA).

Can I assume that alot of these students that "placed into surgery" are in prelim positions? Is SGU specifically not differentiating between the two extremely different situations? I honestly don't know, and I'm not accusing SGU of that....I would like the SGU students to clear it up for me if they can.

I hope you're being honest in answering this person's question.......

Matching directly into plastics as an IMG is near impossible, but these posters will point out that 5 people did it last year according to the NRMP. I'm unsure where they're from geographically (bahamas, ireland, england, etc)......but the IMG match rate for a step 1 score of 241-249 is 33%, 251-259 is 50% in that situation.

Matching into plastics fellowship is extremely difficult for alot of general surgery residents, and the red flag of being an IMG probably wouldn't help.....but I'm just speculating......and using common sense.

As for General Surgery, 932 IMGs applied, 704 somehow took part in the match, and 40% matched. Once again, I don't know the breakdown, but it's not encouraging, even if you're from the Harvard of offshore med schools.....

Are there any SGU students/graduates who know if SGU's match list is including prelim surgery spots, or if these spots are categorical unless prelim is specifically mentioned? If they are categorical, I can't help but be pretty impressed.......

jdub

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,

our match list for surgery is a bit deceiving. it includes prelim matches as well as categorical. even with solid board scores matching general as of late seems to be a bit more of a challenge than it should.

as far as matching plastics via an integrated program . . . this is not a very likely senario. integrated plastics is a very difficult match from a us school and it pretty much does not happen for imgs. according to the sgu match list, we have had one guy match plastics in the last five or six years and he/she did it as a fellow not as an integrated match.

i had a 245 on step one and a 234 on step two and i have been published. i applied to 20 integrated plastic spots just for sh*!s and giggles, i am doubtful that i will even get one plastics interview. i have been getting general sugery interviews, but they have almost exclusively been from the east coast. i am not too worried about finding a general surgery categorical spot, but i have also been rejected from places like kern in cali and east tn state . . . not that i was too high on either of those programs, but i considered them to be more of a back up . . . anyhow, i will possible post updates if folks are interested.

btw, in my opinion, i need to do at least a year of research and present at conferences, etc during my general surgery residency to have a shot at a plastics fellowship. i guess we will see . . .

SLUser11

CRS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
our match list for surgery is a bit deceiving. it includes prelim matches as well as categorical. even with solid board scores matching general as of late seems to be a bit more of a challenge than it should.

Thanks for the response.

stephew

SDN Super Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the fliup side of that truth: the match list for sgu has always been pisspoor about getting people's speciality residencies in; that is, where you go after your prelim year. thus while im in radonc, you'll note that on the year of my graduation, im not there as going to radonc, just my prelim spot which was IM (same for another colleague of mine). SGU is better about it, but still not great. A pal of mind wound up in rads at Brigham but they had her down for her intern year at Shattuck for several months in spite of phone calls.

JEDSAM1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what "Internal Medicine Fast Track Internship" is? :confused: