Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cemented

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a second year that is indecisive to say the least
I WANT a residency but I am fearful my grades will stop me.
I know my stuff...but when it comes to test time I freeze, its always been a problem but in undergrad the curve made up for it. Now I am hovering at arounf a 2.7 and everyone tells me don't even bother to apply. I am not getting involved in the typical ASPA etc organizations, but I am volenteering at a equal access clinic and that is what i love. Should I just give up my ambigtions to become a resident?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I know my stuff...but when it comes to test time I freeze, its always been a problem but in undergrad the curve made up for it. Now I am hovering at arounf a 2.7 and everyone tells me don't even bother to apply. I am not getting involved in the typical ASPA etc organizations, but I am volenteering at a equal access clinic and that is what i love. Should I just give up my ambigtions to become a resident?
Thanks

I wouldn't give up, just really try to get your grades up as much as you can. Grades and other stuff just get you an interview...they interview will get you the job.

I wouldn't give up, just really try to get your grades up as much as you can. Grades and other stuff just get you an interview...they interview will get you the job.

once you get past the interview, is the rest of your application minimally important at that point?

Members don't see this ad :)
once you get past the interview, is the rest of your application minimally important at that point?

I would say it becomes less important because they have already weeded through the applications and picked the candidates they like the best based on paper. But the whole package is still important.

I would say it becomes less important because they have already weeded through the applications and picked the candidates they like the best based on paper. But the whole package is still important.
Right but you gotta get through the initial round where more objective measures, namely GPA, are considered.

Get those grades up. Way up. And get some great rotations with excellent LORs.

Grades definitely aren't everything - I had a 3.5 coming out of school and I still received 3-4 denial letters from residency programs for interviews. I think that each residency program is looking for something different. I would work on the grades, but in the meantime, try to obtain a leadership role or organizational presence. I didn't have any organization activities or leadership roles on my CV and I think that really hurt me. When you get to clerkships, put everything you can into them (it is definitely not the time to slack off) and request extra experiences or projects from your preceptors (especially presentations). These will not only help your CV, but hopefully help your LORs. You can do it!

Thanks

I agree with everyone on the grades, especially pharmacotherapy courses. It could be a turn off if you don't try to bring it up. However, if you're really enthusiatic about goint the extra steps after graduation (residency), show other sides of your strengths (i.e. volunteer on extra school or research projects, establish different internship sites and do a good job for good LORs, etc.). When I sit in the committee to select a candidate for residency interview, I look at everthing, not just grades. However, my experience so far is most students without decent grades tend to have weaker pharmacotherapy knowlege going into a residency. It's good you're thinking about it now. You still have time, work for it and you'll make it :thumbup:

What percent of residency programs do you think require a presentation on your residency interview?

I think it depends on the program. Out of the 9 I interviewed with, none required a presentation. I know that a lot of the well reputed residencies with a lot of applicants require a presentation, just out of the ones my friends have told me about - I've been told Ohio State, University of Kentucky, Mayo, Northwestern??, some in California, Cleveland Clinic?? As you can see, its usually the highly sought after programs. I'm not sure if this is accurate but these just seem to ring a bell. I'm from the Midwest so I couldn't be much help in other regions. I would have a presentation in mind just in case!