Residensy Placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bor0000

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools are the best at placing students into competitive residencies like endo/ortho/omfs? besides the ivyleagues, how would you rank the following:
nova
tufts
uconn
suny stonybrook
suny albany
nyu
bostonu

and should a school be generally strong in research in order to be successful at placing its students into residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

NSU Dental is not known for placing a large number of our graduates into specialties. Heck, we're only 9 years old. Even with that said, last year graduates did extremely well in placing our graduates into specialties for those that did applied.

Ortho: 7 out of 7 (2 OEC spots)
OMFS: 2 out of 2
Endo: only 1 applied, but did not get in

Roughly 105 graduates each year, only about 15% goes into specialties immediately after graduation.

bor0000 said:
Which schools are the best at placing students into competitive residencies like endo/ortho/omfs? besides the ivyleagues, how would you rank the following:
nova
tufts
uconn
suny stonybrook
suny albany
nyu
bostonu

and should a school be generally strong in research in order to be successful at placing its students into residencies?

I see that you have more than a hundred posts, so presumably you've been around here for awhile. That being said, you should know, by now, that IT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE WHERE YOU GO TO DENTAL SCHOOL.

Here's how you get into a specialty:

1. Kick ass on NBDE Part 1
2. Kick ass in dental school (strong GPA/class rank)
3. Do some research, extracurriculars, etc.
4. Don't be an annoying twit.

Going to an "Ivy League" dental school won't make a difference. I'm sure some person is going to use Harvard as an example, but I'd counter by saying that the students at HSDM would probably be at the top of their class anywhere. It's not the school - it's the students.

My $0.02.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, no you have it all wrong, you need to go to the university of trinidad and tobago in the caribbean, they have a the best match rates.

bor0000 said:
nova
tufts
uconn
suny stonybrook
suny albany
nyu
bostonu

For what it's worth UConn matched this year:

2 in Ortho (the only two who applied)
1 Endo (only one who applied)
4-6 in OMFS (Can't remember exactly but only 2 people who wanted OMFS didn't match)

That's 7-9 people out of ~42 (almost 25%) who matched in the most competitive residencies. More importantly is that with the exception of OMFS everyone who applied to a specialty matched!

Thanks!
Are ortho,endo,omfs equally competitive? And the people that applied into the residensies, were they mostly the top people in the class, i.e. self-selection?

How are the schools ranked in terms of research and in terms of how well the students do on the NBDE 1?

Also correction-i meant suny buffalo, not albany.

Not to split hairs too finely here, but you might check the spelling of "residency" for your Match/PASS applications before getting too worked up about which school you need to attend. ;)

bor0000 said:
Thanks!
Are ortho,endo,omfs equally competitive? And the people that applied into the residensies, were they mostly the top people in the class, i.e. self-selection?

How are the schools ranked in terms of research and in terms of how well the students do on the NBDE 1?

Are you dense or something?

It makes no difference where you go. The key is to do well on NBDE Part I and rank high in your class.

If you go to a "prestigious dental school" (an oxymoron) and get an 85 on the Boards, you're not matching into Ortho, Endo, or OMFS.

"kick ass on nbde part 1?????"are you sure you don't mean part 2?????just wondering.i don't really know but i'm curious.i'm waiting to be placed as an advanced standing student right now!!!!!!!! :D

i made a typo, and i am not applying to a residency yet, but i can spell "school" correctly.
i am not dense. fine, just comment on the research rankings.

blacktooth said:
"kick ass on nbde part 1?????"are you sure you don't mean part 2?????just wondering.i don't really know but i'm curious.i'm waiting to be placed as an advanced standing student right now!!!!!!!! :D
No, he means Part I. Part II doesn't even matter sometimes.

bor0000 said:

OK, then my vote goes to SUNY Buffalo :thumbup:

I could spout a bunch of residency placement number at you from my alma mater, but they really don't mean anything. It's all about the individual candidate's application and luck if they get the residency they want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding research. There's no way any dental students are going to be able to rank schools' research. What you need to look for and ask about on interviews are what research opportunities a school offers dental students. Do students at a given school apply and get NIH/NIDCR grants? Do they present their research nationally at AADR/IADR, Hinman, ADA, etc? Does the school organize table clinics? When on interviews ask the students what they think of the research scene. With few exceptions every dental school will provide the opportunities for the students to do research and go on to specialty training if that's your thing. As far as which schools are best for placing students into residency programs, the only difference between schools is whether they take boards after 1st or 2nd yr and how much time off they give to study for boards. Other than those variables, it's all up to the individual student.

blacktooth said:

No!!!!!!! Part 1 is what they look at!!!!! They don't care much about part 2 because most people havent taken it at the time of interviews!!!!!!!!!!!

shiftyeyes said:
"prestigious dental school" (an oxymoron)

that's great! wholeheartedly agree!

but you have to admit b/c schools like harvard, columbia, upenn, ucsf, ucla exist
it makes dentistry look better in the eyes of the media and the informed public.

if the abovementioned schools didn't exist, we would be like osteo, chiro, and pods.

i wouldn't feel comfortable to a dentist who graduated from "college of the ozarks A&M school of dentistry.

I have to say my 2 cents. It does matter what school you graduate from. A top 10 student from Harvard with 90% boards will match better than the same student from UNLV. The UNLV student may still be able to match to a competitive residency... but will not be chosen over the Harvard student. Obviously there are other factors, such as if the Harvard grad is lame and cant carry a conversation. Also, Dental school is not easy to get into... and IS NOT CLOSE TO AS LAME AS CHIRO, PODIATRY, ETC. that is just about the most stupid statement I have heard. Med. school is most prestegious... dental #2 but the others are so far back you cannot see them.

Redundancy kills, SDN is dying, you do the math (BEAUTIFUL...true)

(yet I still get on and browse)

natroncb said:
I have to say my 2 cents. It does matter what school you graduate from. A top 10 student from Harvard with 90% boards will match better than the same student from UNLV. The UNLV student may still be able to match to a competitive residency... but will not be chosen over the Harvard student.
I gotta call BS on this one. Seasoned program directors know which schools they have had good results students from, and they prefer taking those. Period. They choose based on the applicants' similarities to previous outstanding residents. It's insulting to them for anyone to think they will give a certain school preference just because its students constantly engage in mental-masturbation.

natroncb said:
Med. school is most prestegious... )

yep, me agrie. as a dentall stewdent, i do beleive dentall skool is PRESTEGIOUS
two.

thank you for the replies! and i now also used the search function! im not even applying this year, but only next, so i'll go back to studying for dat!

toofache32 said:
I gotta call BS on this one. Seasoned program directors know which schools they have had good results students from, and they prefer taking those. Period. They choose based on the applicants' similarities to previous outstanding residents. It's insulting to them for anyone to think they will give a certain school preference just because its students constantly engage in mental-masturbation.
i disagree.

bor0000 said:
i disagree.
I don't think it matters if you agree or disagree with how program directors think...when they are the ones making the acceptances.

toofache32 said:
I don't think it matters if you agree or disagree with how program directors think...when they are the ones making the acceptances.

"toofache" where did you get the inside scoop on how program directors make decisions?

realysa said:
yep, me agrie. as a dentall stewdent, i do beleive dentall skool is PRESTEGIOUS
two.

realysa... is you are so down on "dentall skool" then why are you applying?

natroncb said:
"toofache" where did you get the inside scoop on how program directors make decisions?
Obviously, my experiences are anecdotal and colored by my specialty. There are several articles over the past decade in the Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery which surveyed program directors, who considered board scores and class rank most important. Where you went to school wasn't even on the radar. You can search Ovid, Pubmed, or go to joms.org if you really need to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Harvard is good for making mommy proud, but that's about it.

toofache32 said:
Obviously, my experiences are anecdotal and colored by my specialty. There are several articles over the past decade in the Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery which surveyed program directors, who considered board scores and class rank most important. Where you went to school wasn't even on the radar. You can search Ovid, Pubmed, or go to joms.org if you really need to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Harvard is good for making mommy proud, but that's about it.

Are you in OMFS? Because then I give you props. You seem to have done your homework. Screw you Harvard folks.

north2southOMFS said:
No, no you have it all wrong, you need to go to the university of trinidad and tobago in the caribbean, they have a the best match rates.

UTT, heh , That's a school for ******s.

natroncb said:
I have to say my 2 cents. It does matter what school you graduate from. A top 10 student from Harvard with 90% boards will match better than the same student from UNLV. The UNLV student may still be able to match to a competitive residency... but will not be chosen over the Harvard student. Obviously there are other factors, such as if the Harvard grad is lame and cant carry a conversation.
Here, I guess you didn't see this. BTW, I see Harvard on an application and I get skeptical.

harvarddogpoop0ie.jpg