Resident abuse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you ever been abused by a senior physician during medical training?

• Yes

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters

Writedoc213

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Resident abuse is a topic often mentioned on these boards. I am hoping to get a better idea of how often and to what degree it happens. If you feel comfortable sharing your story, please do so. Do you consider yelling or verbal insults to be abusive? Also, what is the best way to handle abuse as a resident? How can we as medical professionals improve the learning environment for future trainees?

Members don't see this ad.

if you search my post past history I discuss being sexually harassed as a resident

Reactions: 1 user
Resident abuse is a topic often mentioned on these boards. I am hoping to get a better idea of how often and to what degree it happens. If you feel comfortable sharing your story, please do so. Do you consider yelling or verbal insults to be abusive? Also, what is the best way to handle abuse as a resident? How can we as medical professionals improve the learning environment for future trainees?
What would you consider to fall under that verbal insult category?

There are so many levels of abuse in residency. All abuse should be stopped,
You should try looking this guy up. He is a piece of work.
My institution we had a couple of attendings sleeping around with residents/fellows/nurses and other staff members. I wouldn’t call it an abuse of power, just poor life decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
My institution we had a couple of attendings sleeping around with residents/fellows/nurses and other staff members. I wouldn’t call it an abuse of power, just poor life decisions.

I think sexual harassment requires a bit more than consensual sleeping around. It's a little stickier if people are in a supervisory capacity, because it does raise questions about what influence that had in the forming of the relationship, and also, it's not smart given that things can always go the way of "quid pro quo" or blackmail and such, and then it's difficult to sort out all of the above.

I generally agree with you. These things can be an abuse of power, but I don't think they always are.

By way of clarification: it is inappropriate to name private individuals on this forum and accuse them of harassment and or abuse. There are other avenues for that and posts mentioning a specific physician have been edited.

Reactions: 3 users
By way of clarification: it is inappropriate to name private individuals on this forum and accuse them of harassment and or abuse. There are other avenues for that and posts mentioning a specific physician have been edited.

What are the other avenues?

What are the other avenues?
You can go to other social media sites, tv stations, newspapers, the person's employer, their family or an attorney depending on the allegation.

It is inappropriate to make an accusation about a private citizen here without proof (ie, what was posted was heresay).

You can go to other social media sites, tv stations, newspapers, the person's employer, their family or an attorney depending on the allegation.

It is inappropriate to make an accusation about a private citizen here without proof (ie, what was posted was heresay).
I am going to mince words here and suggest that it was actually against legal advice rather than 'inappropriate'

To continue on topic, do you or anyone else know what those social media sites are?

I am going to mince words here and suggest that it was actually against legal advice rather than 'inappropriate'

To continue on topic, do you or anyone else know what those social media sites are?
i know that it might be gratifying in the the short term, but right now, you need to think about you and your medical career. You are fresh out, just got an unrestricted license, and have a JOB...work right now on setting yourself up as a physician and getting as far away from your residency program. Remember, programs and employers are still going to ask for LoR or references and right now you don't have any options other that those associated with your program. Once you have had a job or 2, then you will not have to worry about relying on them for things.

You may have been able to do something at the time if you had followed through but now...now it could come back to bite you in the butt...let it go and move on.

i know that it might be gratifying in the the short term, but right now, you need to think about you and your medical career. You are fresh out, just got an unrestricted license, and have a JOB...work right now on setting yourself up as a physician and getting as far away from your residency program. Remember, programs and employers are still going to ask for LoR or references and right now you don't have any options other that those associated with your program. Once you have had a job or 2, then you will not have to worry about relying on them for things.

You may have been able to do something at the time if you had followed through but now...now it could come back to bite you in the butt...let it go and move on.

I wasn't asking you for personal advice. I was asking a question, on topic.

If you are suggesting that SDN's legal counsel had something to do with this, you are mistaken.

And are you seriously asking what social media sites exist on the interwebs?

Take your crusade to Facebook, or Reddit, or Snapchat your teenage cousin about it.

Reactions: 2 users
If you are suggesting that SDN's legal counsel had something to do with this, you are mistaken.

Take your crusade to Facebook, or Reddit, or Snapchat your teenage cousin about it.

Cool, I learned something.

Just to be complete, not really for Asteroid but for others, most institutions (especially large, public entities) have pretty rigorous social media guidelines. My institution was pretty strict - unsubstantiated allegations, privacy violations or even highly negative characterizations carried stiff penalties. I know several stories of residents getting dismissed mocking patients/faculty/staff/institution on YouTube, Facebook and the like. Be careful and have some common sense out there, probably not best to bite the hand that feeds you.

Reactions: 3 users