Resident Advisor Pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amit1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any RA premeds out there? Being an RA is a ton of fun and it gives good benefits but I don't know if it is worth the huge investment of time. Do med school realize and appreciate this commitment?

I try very hard to stay well rounded and many things are vying for my time. I am building up a couple of musclecars, doing clinical work, volunteering, and doing research in addition to recreational and social activities (REALLY trying to cut down getting too drunk and high).

Members don't see this ad.

i think it will only be useful if you gain something out of it.........such as a relization of something or something that you can really cherish.............also, your activiteis seem to be really good and diverse............just don't screw up things with too much getting high and drunk..............balance................is key

nero

I was an RA for one year, and the past two years I've served as an HR (head resident) supervising a group of RAs in various buildings.

I honestly do think that med schools recognize the vast amount of skills and qualities that this kind of position fosters, but only if you highlight those skills on your AMCAS or interviews. Simply saying you were an RA won't necessarily tell them anything. If you mention that you dealt with conflict resolution, teambuilding, community-building, crisis management, supervision, time management, etc. (I could go on and on!) the adcoms will recognize that these are all excellent qualities for a physician!

Go Residential Life! :)

:clap:

Reactions: 1 user
I've been a residential advisor for 2 years. It is an invaluable experience, and definitely worth recommending to anybody.