This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agentfaithmd

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm back:

So, I got admitted to SHSU's Biomedical Science undergraduate degree, and since I applied for their pre-med track, I was told to set up an appointment with their pre-med advisor.
I'll be talking with her on the 21st.
What should I expect? I'm clueless to this process and would appreciate any advice on my first steps as a pre-med. Should I be prepared to answer any specific questions? What should I ask her? Help!

Thank you,
MB

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @Mr.Smile12,

Thanks so much for responding. All paths have been leading to them, apparently. I guess I'm committed because I spoke to the academic advisor to get a list of this semester's courses, and they sent out my financial aid. The advisor said to set up an appointment with the pre med advisor. Other than that, no more info. I'm a little lost in this, forgive me.

Thank you,
MB

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you paid a tuition deposit? I don't know if you had a commit to enroll form to sign.

I think the first meeting is just introductory to let you know who to talk with and find out what programming is planned or resources are available to you. I would also want an idea on how committed you are to medicine versus other health professions careers. Your first semester of courses should be straightforward.

Have you paid a tuition deposit? I don't know if you had a commit to enroll form to sign.

I think the first meeting is just introductory to let you know who to talk with and find out what programming is planned or resources are available to you. I would also want an idea on how committed you are to medicine versus other health professions careers. Your first semester of courses should be straightforward.
No, I haven't signed anything of the sorts yet. But, I have until April to accept their grants...
The first advisor (non-medical related) gave me General Bio, Intro to Psychology, PreCalc, History II, and Creative Arts; yes, that should be easy.
Considering that she's a pre-health advisor and not completely focused on pre-med, that is going to be a discussion of interest.
In terms of how committed I am to medicine, it's been a definite choice for quite some time. I've done some (virtual) clinical shadowing, had some personal experiences where medicine impacted the situation... even some of my favorite writers (I know, totally irrelevant) were doctors. As a doctor, the opportunities stretched beyond the clinical environment, such as research and education have appealed to me.
Would the advisor be able to direct me into volunteering activities and shadowing, or would that be on my part?
Thanks again; I appreciate it.